Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Guest (n/a)     16 November 2008

Any limitations to change my name as per indian law ?

I'm interested towards changing my surname for the second time through ffidavit from a notary or before a civil court in India. Just wanted to know if there is any limitation with the Indian Law towards the number of times, i can change my name, surname ??

Learning

4 Replies

SHEKHAR MISHRA (public servant)     16 November 2008

ARCHANA, there   is   no  limitation  to  changing   your  name  or  surname.you  can  change  it   whenever   you  wish.

advocate jain (advocate)     16 November 2008

yes .........u can change whn ever u wish.......

K.C.Suresh (Advocate)     16 November 2008

But changing the frequently is an unhealthy practice in the present circumstances in India. But you can change the surname by changing the circumstances in your life. You can change there is no legal bar

Shree. ( Advocate.)     16 November 2008

Dear Archana,

Lawfully you need to follow the procedure laid under the particular State for name change and this will benefit you in long run.  Merely stating under Oath in an affidavit form by a Notary may not help you.

My advise to you is go legally and get all the certificates changed with your name you desire to have. There are lawyers who specialize in this area and you need to consult them and take their advise before concluding that an affidavit could be sufficient document. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register