Upgrad LLM

will and probate done overseas

I received a property (In India) by will (done overseas), and probate was done overseas as well. I live in USA. Now i plan to sell this property, do I need to do any other legal formality in India to sell this property. property was transferred to my name by society.

LEGAL

If the property is already transferred in your name you are free to do anything with it...

I consulted few lawyers over phone and I was told that I need to do probate in India again, can experts please suggest / give details. 

LEGAL

For the immovable ssests the probation of will is ncessary .though you have already probated it outside India,you need as a requierment to probate in India too. It is to follow the  procedure to keep everything in order. It is advised to probate the will in India  too..

thanks for your reply , when you say 'you need as a requierment to probate in India too' , is it mandatory or optional ? what is legal implication of not doing that ? 

LEGAL

depends on  the assets of the individual;

e.g. a house, bank account, life insurance policy. ... A grant is necessary in order to transfer the property into a beneficiary's name or sell the property.

you need to probate will in india

when property is already in my name, Co-operative society has already transferred it on my name and gave me share certificate in my name.  then why this probate required in India ?

LEAVE A REPLY

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Search Forum

Menu

CrPC MASTERCLASS!     |    x