LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sharmila (n/a)     07 January 2008

Where to register a complaint

Where to register a complaint

1. Where should a citizen register his complaint

(a) Even if the crime is committed in an area beyond the limits of any police station, a complainant cannot be forced to go to the concerned police station. A citizen can register his complaint at any police station.

(b) After registering a complaint of a cognizable offence, a copy thereof must be given to the complainant free of cost.

(c) In case of non-cognizable offences the police do not have a right to investigate the complaint without the orders of the Court.

2. Where to register a cornplaint when an offence is committed within the limits of
Railways When an offence is committed either within the jurisdiction of the railway or in a running train, it is necessary to register a complaint at the concerned railway police station. Similarly ΓÇ£Mobile Police stationsΓÇ¥ have also been established in some long distance trains. Hence a complaint of an offence committed in these running train can be lodged at the Mobile Police Station. Besides, necessary arrrangement to lodge a complaint with the Guards is also available on long distance trains.

If after the commission of an offence, the passenger concerned does not want to alight from that train, he can also lodge the said complaint at the railway police station situated at the place of the destination of his journey. Such offences are later on forwarded to the concerned railway police station for the purpose of investigation and other procedural action. If there is no railway police station at the place of the destination of hislher journey, then helshe can lodge the complaint of the offence at the nearest police station which is then forwarded to the railway police station concerned. Similarly, if the passenger is not in a position to go personally to the police station, helshe can send the complaint in the form of a written application to the
concerned railway police station. If the passenger concerned has no knowledge of the particular railway police station he can send his written complaint to any railway police station or to the office of the Mumbai Railway Police Commissioner or to the office of the Special Inspector General of Police,  Railways, Mumbai. Action is then initiated to get the complaint registered at the concerned railway police station in respect of complaints received in this manner.


 6 Replies

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     07 January 2008

Thanks for sharing the information.

TSBehera (n/a)     08 January 2008

what happens when you visit a police station you are disturbed for the act for which in almost all cases complainant is either a victim or loser.But normally the police refuse/did not give you any acknowledgement to your complaint at all ! Even if it is a cognizable case the police will not register the FIR easily !What to do 'is their any machinary in law where a complaint in writing at Police station can be acknowledged in its duplicate copy ? forgeting any action by police?Sometimes giving a complaint to police is statutory,but the police make a hell giving acknowledgement to your complaint or giving you a copy of FIR?how many of us muster courage to file complaint to magistrate ?Is there any remady easily available?

mohitattri (n/a)     10 January 2008

peoples r not aware about their rights and laws in india.we hve need the help of media. if police officer ignord to wrte the fir then u can filed the complaint before magistrate.

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     11 January 2008

Yes. You can file a compliant before the magistrate either under section 156 (3) or 200 Cr.P.C. Earlier you can file a petition under section 482 of the Cr.P.C. in the High COurt seeking direction to the police to register the FIR. But in view of the recent judgment of the Honourable Supreme Court deprecating such practice, you need to send a copy of the complaint to the S.P and on his failur to take action, to file a private complaint before the Magistrate.

TSBehera (n/a)     11 January 2008

You are right sir I sent the copy to SP and also  I filed ICC complaint to SDJM stating the facts that matter informed to police giving copy to SP and no FIR lodged,he asked enquiry report from the police u/s 210 ,till now 6 months passed the police has not given the report to the court, the magistrate is keeping on adjournment this is fourth time since the incident without taking cognizance of the case,what to do?

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     11 January 2008

You can file a petition under section 482 of the CRPC before the High Court seeking a direction for expediting of the case.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register