LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

BHAVYA SOM GARG   14 August 2021

Greetings of the day.

I would like to tell you that you cannot practice advocacy while being a student. To be able to practice, you need to have a valid degree in law and you need to get yourself registered in the bar association of the court where you wish to practice. Reference can be made to Section 14 of the Indian Bar Councils Act, 1926 read with Advocates Act, 1961.

But as per the guidelines of the Bar Council, a law student has to undertake a compulsory internship of 12 weeks or 20 weeks, for a 3-year or a 5-year course respectively, during the course itself. During that internship, a law student can work with a litigating lawyer, a corporate entity, an NGO etc. So, if you seriously want to gain some practical experience in the field, you can start your internship with a practicing advocate. But as things stand, you cannot enter into active practice before completing your degree and securing a registration in the appropriate bar association.

Hope this resolves your query.

manpreet kaur   14 August 2021

some of my class mates starting practice under respected lawyers in there first year of law degree.. to gain some knowledge so it can be good for me also to join or not??

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register