LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Guest (n/a)     04 December 2008

What is the procedure of filing a complaint in consumer court ?

Hi I am from Delhi, i want to file a complaint in consumer court regarding an electronics shop. Can anyone tell me what is the exact procedure and what all things i will require. Also can anyone post consumer court helpline number for Delhi


 15 Replies

M. PIRAVI PERUMAL (Advocate & Consumer Rights)     04 December 2008

Dear Mr. Chandan, Here below im providing you the format of complaint to be filed before the District Forum.  You can make changes in facts accordings to you case.




IN THE MATTER OF : (Name and address of complainant)

                                                                        .................... COMPLAINANT


                                 (Name and address of the accused)

                                                                        .................... OPPOSITE PARTY


A brief paragraph about the complainant explaining the name, residence address and occupation of the complainant.

A brief paragraph about name, address and occupation of the opposite party.




1. Description of the deal and services promised by the opposite parties for the value paid by the complainant.

2. Description of the advertisements given by the opposite parties which attracted the complainant to purchase the commodity and services.



Details of the price of goods and services.

Details of the bill/invoice (bill number and date, item and amount)

Details of payments made by complainant (cheque number/cash, etc.)




(select from list or write as required)

1. Misleading advertisements and false representation.

2. Cheating by giving false promises.

3. Deficiency in after sales service or not abiding by warranty clause.

4. Harassment by the opposite party.

5. Not delivering the goods and services for which payment is made.

6. Charging excess amount.

7. Any other factors that affected the consumer.




Copy of advertisement and catalogue that promised the concerned goods and services.

Copy of bill as evidence of purchase.

Other documents such as agreement copies, bounced cheques, opposite parties' letters.

Copy of letters sent to the opposite party to request for rectification of fault and settlement of the grievance.




(Select one)

As the total amount involved is more than Rupees 1 crore, the complaint is being filed with the Hon'ble National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission.


As the total amount involved is more than Rupees 20 lakhs and less than 1 crore, the complaint is being filed with the Hon'ble State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission.


As the total amount involved is less than Rupees 20 lakhs, the complaint is being filed with the Hon'ble District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum.



Nu.Delhi.Law.Fora. (Advocate-on-Record Supreme Court of India)     05 December 2008

Your half of the task is shared by Mr. Perumal.

For Delhi, depending upon your complaint value, you need to choose forum District/State/National consumer commission.

You can yourself lodge formal complaint without any difficulty. Yes, its that easy and consumer forums are truely consumer freiendly.

Good luck




Srinivas.B.S.S.T ( Advocate)     05 December 2008

 Good work by my friends. The query is completly solved. 

Ajay kumar singh (Advocate)     06 December 2008

Please see the text(bare act) of The Consumer Protection Act.It contains  model forms of complaints to be filed before different forums.Fill up the form and present it before the concerned forum.


My Ld. friends are absolutely right.

Shree. ( Advocate.)     06 December 2008

Dear All,

Addresses of Consumer Courts in India

 Click below Link:

kumar sachin (lawyer)     06 December 2008

my friends r right

mastanrao.bhogadi (advocate)     08 December 2008

Respected Shree,

Thaks for providing very good information.

bhanu (Software Development)     17 April 2009


I was facing the  problem with the nokia, the nokia care are wrost people they dont know how to talk with the consumers, i bought the brand new nokia phone n 96, but after 5 days the phone was creating problem like hanging and restart again and again, i submit my phone to the nokia care and ask them to replace it but they were not agree to do so, finally my friend told me to lodge the complaint on the online consumer court website , i submit all the details on the website and after 5 days i received a call from nokia head office and they were agree to replace the handset with the new one.

Pradeep (bUSNESS)     09 June 2009


plz. can any budy tell me the meaning of " Lekhi Yuktiwad" what is a format of it?


Amit Kumar (Advocate)     12 June 2009

Mr Bhanu, this website that you have referred does not seem to be anyway related to any Indian Consumer Court. Still, I am sure the query may have been resolved with such a great speed only because of the advantage taken by the use of words "Consumer Court"... which I suppoose can be termed as illegal !!!

Amit Kumar (Advocate)     12 June 2009

Yogender (na)     16 April 2013

Dear Sir,

Greetings for the day,

With all due repect I would like to put one concern in front of you hoping that you will definitely resolve my query and guide me. Sir i had taken a ICICI Bank credit card way back in 2007-08 and used it till 2009-10 after that when i fed up with their interest rates and paying other thigns like service tax, late payment charges, interest charges, overlimit fees etc... i stopped making payments as i was not able to afford an amount of 10,000 every month...  there was some communication happened in the early phase with the bank regarding the settlement of this card but i was not aware of this so didn't initiated this.... later on when i got to know that i can settle this card with an amount i was ready to speak to them but they offered a high amount which was not feasble for me so i declined.... now after years they again calling me and start threatening me for the concequences if i am not ready to settle this with an amount of Rs. 1 lakh as according to them the outstanding amount is over 2 lakhs even the bank represetatives start visiting my residence area and keep calling in loud voice even start spreadign rumour to my neighbours that i am a theif and not ready to pay bank amount.... but sir my financial conditions are not too good that i can afford lakh rupees and pay them.... more oever as per my knowledge i believe that it should not be that amount due on my behalf as when i stopped making payments how can bank still charge me for all the interests ( just to give you an example during the year 2009-2012 starting from Oct 2009 to May 2012 i had used the card Rs. 71,216.22 I made payments for Rs. 87,345.32, paid service tax of Rs. 9,921.63 and paid interest of Rs. 84,212.05) you can easily understand how much i had paid......


Now I would like you to please guide me is there any way where i can file a complaint or go leagal against them as paying 1 laks rupees is beyond my imaginations if its a question of 10-12,000 then i would have settled this way back....  Please guide me what should i do now to settle all this nonsense ....


Thanks in advance

looking forward to hear back from you soon



YFSIndia Order Fulfillment (Order Fulfillment service provider)     03 May 2013

ActuallyI had the same problem and I was also wanted to know regarding the topic. I got my answer and good job.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register