Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SMG (Free)     20 February 2023

What exactly is the mechanism for paying court fees in up?

The main question is - what exactly is the mechanism for paying court fees in the
Surajpur court of Gautam Buddha Nagar, UP jurisdiction. Is it in bags of cash
only? I'll describe the situation in detail below.

I lost my family in the pandemic. When it came time to deal with securing my
family's assets, some mutual fund accounts were left without nominations (rather, nomination was only filled in bank account tied to demat account).

I was informed that succession certificates would be needed for these. 2
certificates for 2 of my late family members.

I was referred a laywer from Delhi who after accepting the case said his
'colleague' from Noida would handle it as he was familiar with the UP
jurisdiction.

A year and a half later, with slow proceedings, some expenses without receipts,
some incorrect advice (EPF account claims do NOT need a succession certificate
in reality), we've finally reached the phase where I'm told the judge has passed
the order.

On that day, it was a bit weird - I was asked by the lawyer to come to court -
apparently the judge wanted to see me in person before passing order. He saw me,
and then handed my files plus original IDs of my late family members to a court
employee and said something to him.

I was called to the next room by my lawyer and signed some register saying
'petitioner was present'. Then I was told to sign two blank green-ish sheets by
my lawyer and a court employee. Apparently the order would be printed on those
sheets.

A week later I'm told the order has passed and now court fees are to be paid. I
can see online ecourt system that the case status is 'CASE DISPOSED', but down
below it says 'order not uploaded by concerned court'.

My lawyer said that he was verbally told the court fee amount for both cases by
a concerned court employee who's job it is to calculate this. There is
apparently no document for this that is published by the court. Instead we have
to calculate relevant amount, pay it, and then some court employee records that
X amount has been paid and is sufficient.

This feels different from our day 1 (and even subsequent) conversations where I
was told the court would give me an official document with all the court fee
calculations laid out and I could pay directly into a court bank account.

On top of that, my lawyer says the only way to pay court fees is through a
couple of official court fee stamp vendors. They apparently charge some extra
commission amount, and we buy court fee papers from them. He said that these
vendors only accept cash - literal cash bills.

And he says that the efiling system for UP isn't functional.

So I have to arrange cash of some 3+ lakh amount for the court fees (about 10%
of total assets). Then take this to the court fee paper vendors. Then I submit
the papers to someone who will record the fees as being paid and things move
forward towards printing the succession certificates.

The lawyer got angry when I asked for details about all this cash stuff. He said
this is how things happen in UP and he's done it for all his clients this way. I
just wanted clarity on exact dealings since all this feels out of the blue and
he got agitated by my questions.

He then said if I end up somehow paying using an online e-filing system (I
thought he said it was down), the court still has to verify the payment and the
court employees would refuse to do so without this cash approach. He said if
that happens it would be my responsibility to run around for verification and
his remaining lawyer fees would have to be paid.

Is this really how things are supposed to work? I don't get to see official
court document about the court fees decision? I don't get to have an official
bank transaction to court's bank account? I have to hand out 3L of cash to move
things forward?

I am exhausted. The last 2 years I've been doing nothing but live in anxiety
about all the unclear bureaucratic procedures, dealing with government
employees, moving things forward inch by inch. This court/succession part has
been the most outside my control with me being completely blind to what goes on
in the court.

If anyone can shed light on whether this is how it is in UP or whether I'm being
scammed, I would greatly appreciate it.

Learning

8 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     21 February 2023

The law of court-fees is a procedural law. Hence the court-fee payable on a plaint is to be determined with reference to the law in force at the time of the institution of the suit, although the law in force at the time of the accrual of the cause of action might have been different.In most of the civil cases, the Court fee is determined by the market value of the movable/ immovable property involved in the subject matter of the suit. For example, in a suit for partition, the market value of the share in respect of which the suit has been instituted will be used to determine the Court feeThe earliest Act for determining court fees in India is the Court- fees Act, 1870. When the Courts were established, the need for an Act was realized for the payment of fees for resolving disputes. The court fee to be paid depends upon the asset value and varies from state to state. Court fee also depends upon the nature of the dispute between the parties before the Court.

Shashi Dhara   21 February 2023

In p&S you have to pay money for non judicial stamp  paper as per amount  ,court fee  and advocate fee is different .

Sidhhi   22 February 2023

Sorry to say there's rampant corruption in lower courts and lawyers are part of it. I feel sorry for you but you are trapped in a vicious circle and open to exploitation. If you can put your problem to Rijiju the law minister of India or appraise PMO if willing to take little risk of being targeted by corrupt lawyer and court staff.

SMG (Free)     22 February 2023

Thanks, I know that it is a % and in UP it can come to around 8%. My problem indicated above are:

1. is there no document that the court that officially records that X amount has to be paid for a given case? My lawyer just says no angrily. But I should be allowed to verify court fees, right?

2. Should I not be allowed to pay court fees via NEFT to court account? My lawyer is asking me to bring 3.5L in cash bills.

@Siddhi yes, I've come to see this first hand the past 2 years. It's kind of sick. I want to grieve and move on with my life. But all this nonsense has drained me.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     22 February 2023

From your contents there appears to be some excess amount demanded by your lawyer.

Without knowing the details of the court fee payable, in black and white from the court authorities, you may wait without paying it. 

If you suspect the integrity of your lawyer you can abruptly change your lawyer and there is no necessity for you to remain under the mercy of your lawyer.

Since there is something suspicious in this aspect, you may approach the concrened court staff  directly to clarify the details or can appear before the  open court and submit an application narrating the demands made and the mode of payment etc., and that you are not informed about the actual amount payable towards court fee for this purpose.

The court will consider your application filed in person and would pass orders to its registry to furnish the details sought. 

SMG (Free)     22 February 2023

I guess that's an option.

The way you describe it is perfect - ie. being at the mercy of my lawyer. I'm being made to feel constantly anxious and being gaslighted about asking questions about specifics of my case/procedures.

I feel like I want to change my lawyer because I don't want to be part of any shady dealings. But I know that he will demand the final part of his payment and say that it's my own fault for not following his demands regarding how things apparently work at this court.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     23 February 2023

First you have to know what relief you want from the court, and after moulding your relief in the averments of the plaint it is reflected in the PRAYER  of the plaint. In every court there has to be a clerks/taxing officer that determaines the Court Fees according to the value of the relief. In case of dispute on the value of the court fees it is refered to the Chief Justice of the High Court concern whose decision is final. In case of Succession Certificate it is governed by Article 12 of the First Schedule of the U.P.Court Fees Amendment Act ,and that  is two percent of the total amount of your certifcate..

SMG (Free)     25 February 2023

I've spoken with 3 lawyers about this - and the common statement seems to be that the fee for larger amounts (such as those mentioned in my first post) are "around 8%". One lawyer said flat 8.5% and said that he recently completed a succession case where he was told that amount by the court employees.

I also found this online resource mentioning somethng along those same lines: https://advocatetanmoy.com/ad-valorem-fees-in-uttar-pradesh/

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register