Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anu Sharma (software engineer)     23 April 2012

Want to maintain own surname after marriage




My name is Anu Sharma. I am recently got married.  But still now our marriage is not registered. As I understand from some other post and Indian law that changing surname is very difficult as well as hazardous, I like to maintain my surname as it is 'Anu Sharma'. 


But we have seen that if we go with the Hindu marriage act, my name has to be changed on the applicaiton form.


Is it legal ,if we go with Special Marriage though we are married already? ( I heard that , surname change is not required according to the special marriage act).






 10 Replies

Deepak Nair (lawyer)     23 April 2012

It is not necessary to change your name after marriage. You can maintain your maiden name and surname after marriage. Hindu marriage Act does not ask to change the name, But, we do so by following our custom.

In the application for marriage registration, you are required to write your maiden name with your original surname and not your name after marriage. Thus, you can register your marriage with your name as Anu Sharma.

Recently, the supreme court too have held in a case that change of surname by women after marriage is not mandatory and the women can maintain their original name.

1 Like

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     23 April 2012

It is not mandatory to change the surname after getting marriage. you can carry with your maiden name Anu Sharma after marriage.

1 Like

Anu Sharma (software engineer)     24 April 2012

Hi Sir,

Thank you so much for your response. Actually my husband is from West Bengal and we are trying to do the registration after marriage in there itself.

But the lawyer was stick to the point that I have to write my Name with my husband's surname in the Hindu marriage registration application form, because we are doing ragistration after marriage and he said that I have to do affidavite, if I want to use my original surname and publish it in the newspaper. So, that's why I raised this question. 

But according to your information, Writing original surname of the bride, like for me 'Anu Sharma', on the application form of hindu marriage registration is legal.

Thank you again for your advise.



no needs to change your surname after marriage.

Meghna Chitalia (Owner)     09 May 2012

Im a maried woman, but I dont have a single document with my married name... all my documents are on my maiden name. Regarding my babies passport application, can u pls advise how my name should appear, the only document i have is the marriage registration. can my name on her passport appear as my maiden name and if not, then is marraige certificate alone enough as a document to apply. Kindly advise.


Affidavit proforma has given at the end of passport instruction pages. made an affidavit and furnishe to passport office  with passport and required fee.

Mahajan   22 August 2015


What is the procedure of adding my both surname.? 
i.e. my Maiden Name and my husband's surname.   

I want my name as " **** Mahajan Bhalla "


Swagata Seth Mukherjee   06 February 2018

Hi! My name is Swagata Seth Mukherjee. Me and my husband are from kolkata. Before marrige I was Swagata Seth. I have special marriage act registration certificate but in that my name is Swagata Seth (I wrote it as per my registratio officer said to me). I want to continue my maiden surname as well as my husband surname. Is my marriage registration cerificate is aligible for change my personal documents (ex: pan card, bank document)? I want to write my name as Swagata Seth Mukherjee. It is greatful to me if you help me. Thank you.


Most of the divorce cases starting point will be this only.

Itzeazy   30 April 2021

Its not mandatory to change surname after marriage . 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query