LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

T Saravanan (SR MANAGER - IT)     09 August 2013

Wall dispute

Our house at Tamil Nadu is quite old - more than 100 years old. There was toilet in my house having boundary of neighbouring house. Just behind this the septic tank is there where this wall continues.There is only ground floor for my neighbour and there is no window on this wall. Traditionally this used to be the arrangement.

At present, my neighbour wishes to renovate his house by demolishing this wall. If he demolishes the wall obviously the toilet will get exposed. Following are his demand:

a. There would not be any window in the ground floor.

b. Wish to construct his first floor, where he wishes to have windows above the toilet as well as one more windows above the path lead to the toilet.

If I agree for condition b, if I wish to construct another floor above my current RCC building, I may have to construct toilet for first floor just above this toilet. Path way leading to the toilet will have a window of neighbour.

My questions are as follows:

1. Being traditional arrangement from my ancestoral days, what are his legal rights on the wall?

2. Can I allow windows above the existing toilet (if I renovated after his construction)?

3. Should I allow for window on the pathway leading to the toilet? If yes, how do I prevent any misbehavior like throwing junk material from the window, where the pathway may get dirty?

Require answers urgently. If you can refer similar cases, it would come handy for my reference. Please help

T Saravanan.

Learning

1 Replies

surjit singh (Assistant)     10 August 2013

You see traditional arrangemnet cannot be a law. If you are living in a town there must be a municipality or any other authority. Legally you have to take permission for any construction or for any renovation.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register