Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Leena VM (none)     06 October 2015

Value of words in legal cases

Property was divided 50/50 after my father's death between two brothers. while selling the property one brother paid stamp duty, registration and other expenses. Even though all money matter were settle in Nov 2014 in cash, now one brother is asking 50% of those expenses with interest.

His justification via his lawyer is that I told him verbally that I would pay and he tried to communicate with me many times. I live abroad.

First I did not promise anything because it was all settled in cash. Also there is no record of him contacting via phone, email or registered mail or I signed anything that I owe him.

So my questions.

1. Can he file FIR by just saying I told him verbally

2. Isn't there a statute of limitaion of 3 years even though he is trying to say he tried to contact me.


 2 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     09 October 2015

When a property is sold generally the buyer pays stamp duty and not the seller.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     09 October 2015

He cannot file FIR. This is a civil case. There is no cheating or breach of trust involved.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query