First calm yourself down, its a fact that you had faced a lot of trouble in your martial life, but, now you're out of it, so dont get afraid. if he is man enough, he will not come & hurt you. Yes, dhamkis and all will go a long way now, as I understand, he has taken you for guranteed in his life and had been treating you as a slave.
Now Think these points.
- what is that, you wanted to do with your life? want to put up a case? wan to try sending him in jail? want to entangle him legally?
- want to get rid of him ASAP with a fair amount of maintainence for your children
- want to live a peaceful life with a partner who truly values your presence
- Standing in your own feet (getting yourself a source of income, be it any amount) & standing strong in the society with an image of non-depedibility?
Now, if you want 1st Option, you have a lot of tools with you, like 498A, 406, & more which I cant even re-call and obviously, you will always find police beside you, BUT, its a time taking matter. It is obvious, once you put up a case, you husband and his lawyer will not sit idle, so back & forth arguments will be on and ultimately you and your childern will live in some uncertainity that what will be the judgement?, what amout court will grant, they custody and everything.
Now coming to the second options, you are having a very narrow but sure chance of getting it, but some precatiouns needs to be taken care.
steps which I suggest are
- File a FIR about abuses and tortures with some sort of evidence, ofcourse, its hard to get evidence,, but if at least you can get some from your neiboughers and house maids etc, on the basis of which, police will start the investigation.
- Beside of which, you can file a divorce case on the ground of mental cruelty, but remember dont try to file 498,406 etc, cause when the same will go from CIVIL to CRIMINAL, time span will be more, and there will be more headache to you to prove.
- Also file Alimony during trial and seperate case for alimony for your children
- From your writing skills, I can make out, that you're well educated and can hold a job for yourself, so go & get it and start supporting yourself and the case & obviously your cute little daughters too. Try to give them as much happiness as you can from your limited capacity.
- During the case, police & court might ask you to file 498A, 406, for which you can opt for not choosing it & instead, go for mediation and claim a lumpsum alimony for sake of your children and for your support, you must take up a job, pls dont downgrade yourself asking money for yourself.
I hope, I have not hurt your feelings in any way, pls understand I'm not a lawyer or legal advisor, but I'm a victim of a false case filed, just after 6month of my marriage by my in-laws and my loveable wife, yet, I dont favour any violence to any of the family members. After reading your situation you mentioned & with very limited knowledge, this is the best I can suggest, which might fetch you a good/hasssle free future, lawyers might suggest you other better/worse options too, which you must be matured enough to understand.