Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rohit Kapoor (Service)     23 January 2014

Urgent help required

Hello Respected Lawers,

Came to know about this thread a bit late... but i think better late than never... i have gone through most of the threads on this forum and have gathered all the basic information... pls pour in your views as to what should be my future course of action...

My story goes like this… I was married in Dec-12 to a girl whose family we had known for quite some time. Both the families are putting up in Jalandhar and I have been working in Delhi. Since the two families knew each other, we insisted that the marriage may not be an extravagant affair. We also specifically mentioned that we do not need anything in the marriage since I had already taken a house in Delhi (on rent) and had furnished it with all the necessary items from the money used from my account (all the transactions took place from my account) where no money was credited apart from my salary.
After marriage, staying with my parents in Jalandhar for a couple of days, we went to Mauritius for Honeymoon, the charges for which again were borne completely by me from my salary account. After honeymoon, we directly came to Delhi where I started with my job. My wife did not have the job at the point in time (though she got one in Jun-13). After a few days, she started picking fights on petty things. These were not only plain verbal fights but she also became physical in those fights. She used to hit and abuse me. When I responded in the same way she complained to her family members telling them about my aggressive nature. This happened a couple of more times after which both the families sat together and we were told not to get aggressive in fights and my wife was categorically asked to control her aggressive abusive behavior. My parents even told me that even if she hits me, I should refrain from hitting her back and rather try to hold her hands.
However, her violent streak continued. In nice times I asked her the reason for her aggressive nature to which she replied that in school, she was s*xually abused by a teacher because of which whenever some argument starts she tends to become aggressive. She also gave her high degree of thyroid as another reason (she is taking a 50mg tablet every day to control thyroid) for her mood swings. She also disclosed that this was the reason she is not very comfortable with men and also had physical relations with a girl during her college days. I was shocked to the core after hearing all this.
However, I consoled her and asked her to forget the past and try to control her anger as this was spoiling our present. I also offered her to attend a few sessions with a psychiatrist to which she declined after consulting with her parents. 
Her violent streak continued and in one of the fights in Sept-13, she pushed me to the wall because of which the finger of my foot got broken and I remain in cast for three weeks. She apologized to me and promised that she won’t fight with me again and asked me not to tell it to anyone. In the interest of saving my marriage, I thought that this might be a small price to pay. For a couple of months she was OK, but again her aggressive behavior started. One night, in Dec-13, in front of her brother (who is working in an electronics company and had been staying with us for the past two weeks), she again picked up a small issue and started abusing and beating me. Since her brother did not refrain her from doing so, I apprehended threat to my life and took all my important stuff and left home.
Since then I never went back to the house and stayed with my friends in and around Delhi. Her parents, along with her came to our house in Jalandhar and asked me to go back to the house to which I declined saying that if she cannot change her aggressive nature, I cannot live with her.
After two weeks from our last meeting, we received a call from the CAW cell telling that a complaint has been filed by my wife against me and my family members alleging physical and mental harassment by us. They complained that we have been asking for dowry from them and have been beating my wife as our demands could not be satiated. Since then we have attended two sessions in the CAW cell. We are yet to receive a copy of the complaint (have applied for it in RTI, however, people there tell us that it takes atleast 1 month for the complaint to come). In the allegations verbally told to us, she has filed her complaint against me, my parents and my two brothers (one of whom is not even living in India and never came to India after my marriage) of domestic violence/ dowry, etc… (Physically and mentally harassing her for dowry). With regard to dowry, she has stated that a flat in Delhi was demanded by me and my family members (family members are staying in Jalandhar). Details of the complaint have not been disclosed to us. In the CAW cell meetings, we were asked that let bygones be bygones and what we wanted to do now. Both of us told the inspecting officer that we do not want to stay together. Subsequently, the I/o asked the girl to come with three copies of Istridhan and alimony that she thinks is suitable, in the next meeting (which is scheduled after one week from now) and we can go for mutual separation, if the money is agreeable to both the parties.

Now, the problems I am facing are:-
1. That she might quote an astronomical amount as settlement to which if we do not agree, she will take the case to the FIR stage.
2. Any possible way through which we can get access to the complaint copy soon, as this RTI thing is taking forever.
3. What is the minimum number of meetings that the CAW cell allows us to amicably resolve the issue. How many more meetings can we expect after the initial list of Istridhan is rejected by us (highly probable as this is obviously expected to be an abnormally high number). The I/o had told that this is going to be a long procedure as the process has just started.
4. How easy/tough it is to get notice bail/anticipatory bail for me, my parents and siblings on the basis of the complaint filed in the CAW cell (which we are yet to get our hands on). Just for the record, my parents and siblings have not been staying with us in Delhi. In the one year of our marriage, they came to visit us only twice and that too for a couple of days. We have visited them a few times in the last one year though. On the other hand, every now and then her parents/siblings have come to our house. Even when the last fight happened, her brother had been staying with us for the past two weeks. I think this fact will help in getting bail for my parents/siblings. 
5. For the record, she has the keys to the locker, which we are maintaining in Delhi and which contains all the jewellery items which were given to her during/after marriage. I checked in the bank register and found she operated the locker a couple of days after our last fight and most likely she has taken all the items out. Can she claim those items also in the Istridhan list saying that those items are with us…?
6. Since the girl is just 27 years old and has no kid, what are the chances of her going into litigations and wasting her precious years in courts. Wouldn’t resettlement be on her/her parent’s mind. Also, the settlement amount that she can get after taking the proceedings to court might not be as attractive as she can get in the CAW cell.
7. What are the chances of her putting 498a/406/DV cases on us and leaving India. Any possible way through which we or the law can stop her from doing that.
Some facts I would like to mention:-
1. I had never taken any money from her or her parents. Post marriage, they offered me a couple of lacs in cash, saying that since they could not contribute to the furnishing of the house they wanted me to take the amount and put it in a joint account with my wife. I declined to their proposal. (You have to trust me on this as i strongly believe that a person should not lie when he is taking any medical or legal advice)
2. After marriage, I bought a car on loan, the down-payment for which was again made through my salary account. No amount credited in the account apart from my salary.
3. Me and my wife have just one joint account which has only 10k rupees (bare minimum required to open a locker). So she cannot claim that any money lying in our joint A/c was given as dowry. My wife got a job a couple of months back in Delhi, the salary (15K) of which is being saved by her (she gets salary in cash as she is yet to be confirmed at her job) as she did not contribute in the day to day household expenses. Moreover, she took 10k from me every month to meet her personal expenses. No proof of this though as i also used to give her money in cash. 
4. Though I have left my rented house in Delhi but I have been paying the rent regularly. My wife and her parents (whenever they come to Delhi for CAW meetings) use the place (this might give you an idea how shameless these people are..:)). Not that they cannot afford a decent hotel or something… these people are highly resourceful (my father-in-law is running a business in Jalandhar), influential people, which gives you an idea of the greed for money they have…
Request you to pour in your views on the issue and guide me as to what should be my future course of action and how should I manage things so that the damage is minimized (both financial and legal)…

Regards

Learning

10 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     23 January 2014

Dear,

You have written the facts very clearly and you know there are many things which needs to be discussed. You better give me a call or meet me for this.

Advocate Kapil Chandna

Rohit Kapoor (Service)     24 January 2014

Dear Sir,

I was actually expecting a bit more on it...

Request other forum members to kindly pour in their views...

Regards,

Rohit

Mohan Kumar (Advocate chennai 9840261011)     24 January 2014

meet one advocate and arrange out of court settlement then file divorce by mutual consent

RAJIV BHASIN (ADVOCATE) (Bhasin Legal Consultants(SOLICITORS & ADVOCATES) bhasin.laws@yahoo.com 9811210505)     24 January 2014

Dear Rohit,

In CAW cell you have to grease the palm of IO. He can conduct 6 to 8 sessions there on one pretext or other. Your parents and siblings are not living in delhi so they will get bail immediately as there is delhi high court and supreme court judgments. Once your matter will reach the court then it will be referred for mediation and you can settle the matter amicably even if their demands would be high. after arriving it for settlement mutual consent divorce would be filed and thereafter quashing of the FIR before delhi high court. YOu will become free bird again. For DV act matter continuously pay the rent as that is your matrimonial house and you have been thrown out of your own matrimonial house. your injuries too are best defense being cruelty and atrocities happened with you. Moreover if your in laws would know or IO would come to know then you cannot leave INDIA till matter are over as your passport would seized by the police. you are free to call me for any clarifications.

Rajiv Bhasin 

Advocate 

Bhasin Legal Consultants

SOLICITORS AND ADVOCATES

www.bhasinlegalconsultants.com 

Dear Mr. Rajiv Bhasin,

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs...

there has been one development yesterday...

this is regarding our house in which i used to stay with my wife before i moved out. After my leaving the house, my wife and her parents used to stay there whenever they came to delhi for CAW meetings. after staying in the house for a few weeks, my wife had also left the place and visited it on and off (mostly only when the whole family came to delhi). there had been some water leakage problem on our floor which was troubling the people on the floor below us, because of which the landlord had called me up and asked me to give my set of keys to them so that they can check the problem and fix it. i did not myself go to the place but asked a friend of mine to hand them over the keys. to everyone's surprise, they found that my wife had changed the lock of the house. when my landlords called her to come and allow them to enter the house to check the problem, she blatantly said no and threatened them not to dare to break the lock or they will inform the police since her saaman was lying in the house... now the landlords are asking me to come to the house so that the lock could be broken in my presence or they are saying that they might have to inform the police as the leakage problem is serious and is leading to electric current in one of the walls (the rent agreement is on my name)... they have even threatened me that in case any casuality happens they will put the blame on me for that... though i dont have any problem with their breaking in even in my absence but that might give my in-laws one more point that I broke into the house and took their stuff...  

Sir, pls suggest how to get out of this imbroglio...??  

Regards,

Rohit

RAJIV BHASIN (ADVOCATE) (Bhasin Legal Consultants(SOLICITORS & ADVOCATES) bhasin.laws@yahoo.com 9811210505)     24 January 2014

Dear Rohit,

Immediately get the complaint drafted from lawyer stating all the facts and get it received at local police station also mention that you should not be held responsible for the same moreover ask your landlord to apply for disconnection of the electric connection or cut the electric supply. keep paying rent to landlord even then you are not residing there moreover she has chaged the locks also goes in your favour as all the istridhan / gifts / jewellery with her.

Rajiv Bhasin 

Advocate

Dear Mr. Bhasin,

Thanks once again for your valuable inputs...

Regards,

Rohit

Rohit Kapoor (Service)     15 February 2014

Respected Lawyers,

In our last CAW cell meeting... both of us were asked if wanted to live together, to which we said 'NO'. The girl was then asked by the inspecting officer to bring a list of Istridhan Items and one time Alimony amount that she feels appropriate. Now, my queries are:-

1. How can an inspecting officer guide the girl that she should come up with a one time Alimony amount?

2. What precautions do i need to take while accepting the Istridhan list as it is obviously expected to be artificially inflated? 

Regards,

Rohit

Rohit Kapoor (Service)     29 June 2014

Respected Lawyers,

Back after a long time...

coming directly to the point... the proceedings at the CAW cell failed and the compalint got referred for FIR ... the girl's side never came up with their demands directly and said they wanted to register FIR only....

Our lawyer applied for Notice bail but that got rejected since there has been some High Court ruling a couple of weeks back which says that Notice Bail is illegal and should not be given (dont know the details). However, our lawyer was able to convince the judge to refer the case for mediation... some contact point came with our opponent lawyer and we came to know that the girl's side are expecting around 20 lacs.... my queries:-

1. How much time does it takes between registration of FIR and arrest warrants coming from ACP (for husband) and DCP (for others)... in Delhi?

2. How to negotiate in the mediation cell since the girl's side never had an intention to mediate. How to bring their demands to a lower level... if they are asking for 20L, how much can we negotiate.... will the neutral lawyer present in the mediation cell will help to convince the girl.

3. The girls side will deliberately try that nothing positive comes out in the mediation so that arrest pressure is maintained. How to handle that pressure and negotaiate that something positive comes out...?

4. If the mediation is not fruitful.. can we ask the court that we ready to pay some percentage of their demand in order to make our intentions clear that we want mediation to fructify and it is only the girl's side which is desisting the same. Can it help us to get anticipatory bail..??

Request you to kindly pour in your views...

Regards
Rohit

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     29 June 2014

Dear Rohit

as per your queries my opinion is as under

1. How much time does it takes between registration of FIR and arrest warrants coming from ACP (for husband) and DCP (for others)... in Delhi?

Opinion: its depend on the police officials, no specific time to issue arrest warrant or permission for arrest.

2. How to negotiate in the mediation cell since the girl's side never had an intention to mediate. How to bring their demands to a lower level... if they are asking for 20L, how much can we negotiate.... will the neutral lawyer present in the mediation cell will help to convince the girl.

Opinion: there is two type of mediation cell in Delhi, one is CAW cell mediation center and second is mediation cell in Court, in Mediation (CAW) they may be biased so it will be better to settle the matter before mediation center of Court.

3. The girls side will deliberately try that nothing positive comes out in the mediation so that arrest pressure is maintained. How to handle that pressure and negotaiate that something positive comes out...?

Opinion: File anticipatory bail before court u/s 438 of Cr.P.C and get notice bail, arresting stay or other interim relief after that start the mediation. it will be better.

4. If the mediation is not fruitful.. can we ask the court that we ready to pay some percentage of their demand in order to make our intentions clear that we want mediation to fructify and it is only the girl's side which is desisting the same. Can it help us to get anticipatory bail..??

Opinion: at the time of arguments on Anticipatory bail, you can stated before the court regarding this and the court will consider this point too.

Feel Free to call

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register