LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vaishnaidu   13 August 2021

Unable to get original certificates from college

I’m a first year mbbs student in telangana, i am unable to continue my education due to health issues and financial strain. When we approached college regd this they forced us to pay full 5 yrs fees and said they will not return my original certificates if I don’t pay thw fees.. we have already paid for 2 years and have no money left to pay.. they threatened fo ruin my career if I don’t pay the money please help me on how to get my certificates back


 18 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     14 August 2021

Issue legal notice for return of origin certificates and fees for remaining period of the course deposited in advance, seeking professional services of a local prudent lawyer.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     14 August 2021

The Ministry of HRD, AICTE, UGC has issued directives to all colleges (State GOvernments also) not to retain original certificates as security for future fees.  The certificates were given for verification, and they should be returned after verification as they are not security.  If you have explored all avenues, file on line grievance in pgrmsin online portal to MHRD, AICTE, and UGC, get a printout, and send it to the Principal by Regd. post.  The college authorities will call on you and return the fees, as such complaints on retaining such certificate is one reason for cancelation of recognition as per the directive.

Grievance can be as follows:  The Grievance holder is a bonafide student of .........year with.............group with .................Engineering college at........................Hyderabad.   The student has several times requested the principal for the return of the original certificates and the directives of MHRD/UC/AICTE were brought to his attention several times.  The college disobeyed the directives and not returning the original certificates, hence the grievance for directions to the college to immediately return the originals within a week.  The copy of the grievance was marked to Principal under Regd Ack due.

(Do not spend a single paisa and you will certainly get back your original certificates, if not file a simple on line complaint in District Consumer Forum, demanding compensation, costs for harassment and deficiency of service in not obeying directives of MHRD, AICTE, and UGC,

2 Like

M V Gupta (Advocate)     14 August 2021

I fully agree with the detailed opinion/guidance provided by Shri G L N Prasad.

Vaishnaidu   15 August 2021

Thank you sir , is the procedure same for mbbs ? As I'm a medical student and not engineering ..

P. Venu (Advocate)     15 August 2021

The procedure informed by Learned Mr. Prasad apply to all educational institutions.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     15 August 2021

But be aware that your liability to pay fees exists and the focus is only on returning original certificates alone.  You are bound to repay the fees to the college, if the college files a suit against you, as they can not provide admission to any student in any year in a 5-year medical course.  The orders of MHRD and UGC apply to all institutions in India.  Everyone is aware as to the number of fees in private medical colleges and those fees may exceed even one crore of rupees.  Irrespective of the fact whether the student presents or is absent or abandons the maintenance expenses are the same to college.  For the inability of students, the institution should not suffer.

Vaishnaidu   15 August 2021

Then what is my way out sir, i have been suffering from anxiety and depression for almost a year and my psychiatrist had adviced me to take rest and do something that's not too stressful .. and my parents are not having enough financial stability to pay the whole fees, we have already taken loan for the first year and 2nd year fees.. please suggest some alternative way to get out of this situation sir . 

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     15 August 2021

Your primary question is "Return of original documents"= First get them back.

Members are not competent to advise either you or your institution, as the laid down law is that you should not allow others to suffer financial loss for your disabilities.

M V Gupta (Advocate)     16 August 2021

You may appeal to the college for refund of the fee on medical and humanitarian grounds. It is for the College to decide. 

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     16 August 2021

The issue is not on the refund of fees only for fees for the entire course, when the student abandons a course in the first or second year for 5 years course, as there can not be admissions in the middle and admissions are controlled by Government through written test, counseling, Management quota etc.  The loss to the institution can be more than Rs.50lakhs due to the abandonment of a student in the middle of a term course..  One can not expect humanitarian grounds when the loss is running to several lakhs and that can only be recovered by the institution by filing suit against the student.  The humanitarian ground is that one deserving student lost his chance as getting a seat in MC is most difficult.

P. Venu (Advocate)     16 August 2021

To my knowledge, there are binding decisions og the High Courts that the students liability, on the given context, is limited to the current term/semester.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     16 August 2021


R.Gowthami,                                          ... Petitioner

Vs.1.The Regional Officer,  All India Council for Technical Education,  Southern Regional Office,  Shastri Bhavan, 26, Haddows Road,  Nungambakkam,  Chennai - 600 006.- 2.The principal Secretary/   Commissioner of Technical Education,  Department of Technical Education,   Chennai - 600 025.- 3.The Registrar,  Anna University,  Sardar Patel Road,  Chennai. 4.Principal,  Mepco Schlenk Engineering College,   Sivakasi,  Virudhunagar District.


Moreover, in this case, the petitioner had left the college during the 3rd semester on 03.10.2008, but in the meantime, the last date for admission under the lapsed seat through lateral entry was also over on 18.07.2008, as could be seen from the proceedings of the Commissioner of Technical Education, dated 25.06.2008. Consequently, the vacancy caused, due to the petitioner leaving the college of the 4th respondent, continued for the full course, namely, 3rd and 4th years also and therefore, the 4th respondent-college could not have been in a position to admit any other student in that vacancy. The 4th respondent-college is a self financing institution and is running only on the fees collected from the students. We must also see from their point of view that once a student is leaving in the middle of the course, the college will not be in a position to admit any student and consequently, the college undoubtedly will loose the revenue and in order to compensate such loss they have to collect the fees for the remaining years only from those students, who left the college in the middle of the course. By leaving the college in the middle of the course, the petitioner had not only prevented another person's chance in getting the admission into the B.E. course and also made the college to suffer the loss. Therefore, in my considered view, the 4th respondent- college is right in collecting the fees from the petitioner in respect of 3rd and 4th year and consequently, there is no illegality in such action

Suraj MK   07 December 2022

But sir what if the student is in end of 3 sem via lateral entry d2d program for b. Tech sir I taken admission into b. Tech course I was 3 monthsate Sir when my admission was done still I paid the fees 42000 for my first semester means (3) sem but after just 1 month of gap they are asking for fees of another sem so I am not able to pay the fees I talked to principal (dean) and they are asking for full fees of course and take your original documents the documents includes my school leaving certificate, 10 th marksheet, diploma marksheets, provisional certificate of diploma and many other documents in original form and I requested them so many times that I am not able to pay fees sir because my family conditions are not good but still they are not giving me my documents also to note that sir I noticed them this before the start of 4 th sem in I mean 2 sem pls note sir I am diploma to degree student so we get admission in direct 2 year for 4 year course so we call 3 sem as 1 sem in our terms pls suggest something which can help me out sir 

Suresh S   07 December 2022

Original Certificates are the properties of one individual. No institution has the right to confiscate the original certificates  of any individual for whatever reasons. Please register your grievance in CPGRAMS portal (grievance redressal portal of Govt of India) or you can write to our honorable Prime Minister stating all the details. I'm sure that within 30 days, you will get back all your original certificates without paying any pending fees as demanded by the educational institution. One of my friend has got back all his original certificates in the same way. 

2 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register