LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Naga   20 November 2016

Unable to deposit rent

My aunt has been living as a tenant in an apartment in chennai for the past 20 years..She has been paying the rent regularly...All of a sudden the owner wants my aunt to vacate the flat.. Since my aunt dint vacate, he threatened my aunt with some goons and ended up going to the police station, where the inspector told things have to be taken to court...My aunt told the owner clearly, whatever has to be done we will move legally and we can't vacate now as we are aged..All of a sudden for the past 2 months we are unable to deposit the rent in his bank account as the owner seems to have closed that SB rent account to create some problems..I would like to know what steps have to be taken by my aunt from hereon..How can she deposit the rent..Will it cause any problems to my aunt.

Learning

4 Replies

Samarpan (M)99958670740 (Free legal advice and legal aid cell)     20 November 2016

1. you send money by Money Order and keep the money order receipt properly. If he refuses to receive money order keep the record.

OR OTHERWISE

2.  Rent Control Act is not Central Act, but State Act.  Engage an advocate.  Most of the State Rent Control Acts have provision that if landlord refuses to receive rent, the tenant can approach the court and the court gives direction that the tenant can remit the money in the bank designated by the court and deposit the receipt in the court.  Then the landlord is obliged to receive rent from the court.  By engaging advocate, if T.N. rent Control Act has such provision, he will get it done for you.

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     21 November 2016

Try to add value to the discussion, with your each post.

YYou approach rent control court. It is a very beneficial piece of legislation fo r the protection o f tennats. If landlord doesn't accept   the rent from you you can deposit the rent in court. You can get fixation of fair  or standard rent also through Rent controller.If you appreciate this answer please convey my forum thanks by cdliking thanks.

YYou approach rent control court. It is a very beneficial piece of legislation fo r the protection o f tennats. If landlord doesn't accept   the rent from you you can deposit the rent in court. You can get fixation of fair  or standard rent also through Rent controller.If you appreciate this answer please convey my forum thanks by cdliking thanks.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register