Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajan (Rajan)     25 October 2012

Threats and blackmail from wife and in laws

Dear Friends,

About myself i worked in USA for 5 yrs and returned to India in 2008 and in 2010 i got married to a Indian girl and it was a arranged marriage solemnised in temple but not yet registerd.

In USA i was married with a American citizen and got divorced after 1yr and the girl and her family knew about this before imarriage and they said its past and its not a issue for them.

Now after 2yrs of marriage my wife suddenly left for her parents place and now her dad and uncle want that i should register all my property in her name.I agreed to register in both our names which they don't accept and threaten me to take me to court saying i did not tell them about my previous marriage and divorce and i committed fraud.This is completely false but i cannot prove this and they are talking to everyone that me and my family threatening her daughter.They now even said that they will put dowry and cruelty case against me and my family whereas we did not take any money and never been cruel to her.

Is it really possible for them to file a case of fraud even after knowing all about my past ? I was thinking to put a defamation case againt them as they don't have any proof of my marriage in US and i don't think they will fly to US and get the proof and don't think anyone can walk to US embassy and get in there.

I am really worried as my friend was saying if i go to Police i will only get more trouble.

What should i do ?

Learning

1 Replies

Javed (CA)     25 October 2012

1) Its next to impossible for them to prove if you were married or divorced in US as these records are not available in India.

2) About temple marriages its something tricky because in the court one can only prove with videos,photos that the marriage ceremony was conducted but verifying the date is not easy as temple records and marriage certificate by a priest cannot have so much value as this can be easily produced with any date.Also they can get a certificate from priest on a date when you were together with your US wife and were on vacation in India and get you charged with bigamy.So in unregistered marriages date of marriage remains a question.

Just wait and watch and don't make any moves till they don't file any charges.Barking dogs seldom bites.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register