Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prashant Jejurkar   21 May 2020

The Election Symbol (Reservation & Allotment) Order, 1968

Query is as follows:
Q.1) About Rule 9: Is there a separate Free Symbol List for each State/UT?

Learning

5 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     21 May 2020

What are the facts? What is the context?

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     21 May 2020

Please state full facts as the query is not clear.

Prashant Jejurkar   21 May 2020

hi,
i am engg. student...and just came across the fact while reading a book..

I will just reframe my question....

as per said order quote"[9. Restriction on the allotment of Symbols reserved for State parties in States where such parties are not recognised.—A symbol reserved for a State party in any State— 4[
(a) shall not be included in the list of free symbols for any other State or Union territory,"unquote.....

I'm interpreting this rule as follows with example:
Party "A" is recognised in MAHARASHTRA and wants to contest a seat in MP where it not recognised. Symbol of party "A" is Bow&Arrow which is reserved for it in MAHARASHTRA.

My doubt is ' Symbol Bow&Arrow is reserved for party "A" in MAHARASHTRA, and when it wants to contest a seat in MP, it may have contest a seat on other symbol if Bow&Arrow symbol is included in Free Symbol List of MP state....but the same symbol will not in Free Symbol List of MAHARASHTRA state.....beacause i don't know is there only one Free/Reserved Symbol List for entire nation or separate List for each state..?

Manogya Chava   21 May 2020

Greetings, it is simple if the same party wishes to contest in the elections of MP, then it merely has to approach the Election Comission and the same will be removed from the list in MP. Recognised political parties can also have same symbol as long as they are not competing with one another. This is the case with Federal Party of Manipur and the Dravida Munetra Kazhagam where both use a Rising Sun. However, if one party chooses to enter the other state, it is liable to change the election symbol. Hope this helps!

1 Like

P. Venu (Advocate)     22 May 2020

Admittedly, you yourself know or has found the answer. Thanks.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register