Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Since 1990 (Other)     12 March 2010

Tenant always pays late

Dear Sir,

I have given my properly on leave and licence, and have made an agreement for it and also registered the agreement.

The tenant never pays the rent on time and the cheques always bounce. The agreement states that if the tenant does not pay for 30 days then I can send him a notice, which gives him another 15 days to make the payment with penalty and if he does not do that then I have the right to ask him to vacate. The agreement also has two year lock in period. The tenant always makes the payment after 42-43 days of the due date. I am very tired of this.

Is there any law or any way where in I can send him the notice earlier or is there any way where in I can ask him to vacate the premises. (As there is a lock in period of 2 years involved).

Requesting your help.

Thanks !

Learning

2 Replies

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     12 March 2010

The term lock-in-period is not binding in case he is violating the agreement on the ground of regular payment. You should immediately serve him a notice for vacation and after 15 days, he shall be liable to vacate as per terms of the agreement and if he fails to do so go to Rent controller of your area and get vacated your property.

If cheque bounnced then initiate proceeding under section 138 NI Act. why to wait for further period. Once he is summonned in any of the criminal case filed by you on this ground, he shall bow before you permanently and shall never dare to violate the agreement.

1 Like

Since 1990 (Other)     12 March 2010

Dear Mr. Raj Kumar,

Thankyou for your quick reply. But there were a few things which I wanted to clarify.

The agreement states - 

In the event of the License fees having remained unpaid for a period in excess of 30 days, then in that event the Licensee shall be liable to pay to the Licensor the outstanding and unpaid fees along with interest thereon @24% p.a. for the defaulted period, which if not paid by the Licensee to the Licensor, then in that event, the Licensor shall be entitled to call upon the Licensee to effect the payment of outstanding License fees along with interest thereon as provided herein above within further period of 15 days which if not paid, then in that event, this Agreement shall stand terminated and/or cancelled without any further acts, deeds or things on the part of the Licensor and Licensee shall be responsible and liable to hand over quite, vacant and peaceful possession of the licensed premises to the Licensor forthwith. The agreed damages payable by the Licensee to the Licensor under this event shall be as stipulated in clause 16 II (b).

16 II (b) The agreed damages payable by the Licensee to the Licensor shall be an amount which is equal to the aggregate amount of license fees or compensation and other amounts which, but for earlier revocation of this Agreement, would have been payable by the Licensee to the Licensor for the unexpired period of the lock-in period or for the un-served notice period of three months,  as well as any penalties, fines or amounts due to the licensor for breach of any terms of the agreements, besides any fees and any charges incurred to recover the same.

As the agreement states that there is a period of 30 days after which I can send the notice so would it be possible to do what you are saying ? I.e. send him the notice immediately because he is paying late every time ?

Also the damages stated are 'amount which is equal to the aggregate amount of license fees or compensation and other amounts which, but for earlier revocation of this Agreement, would have been payable by the Licensee to the Licensor for the unexpired period of the lock-in period', so would it be possible to recover the license fees of the unexpired lock in period ? (I.e. for the remaining 1 year 3 months of the lock in period that is still left) ?

This time for the first time I did send him a notice under section 138 NI Act and some lawyer told me I need to wait for 15 days from the date I have sent the notice to initiate a court proceeding and some told me 21 days from the date I have sent the notice. What is the actual law ?

Thanks !

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register