LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

yogesh sheth (director)     27 September 2012

Tax implication

Dear Experts, I would like to know that what will be the tax implication of any bonds or debenture purchased with fixed maturity of double the amount after a fixed tenure. 1) Whether I would have to accrued the interest every year and pay tax on it as per my slab. 2) Whether I would be entitle for Indexation in the maturity year and pay capital gain on it. Kindly let know about my above mentioned query.

Thanks,

Yours faithfully,

YOGESH SHETH

Read more at: https://www.caclubindia.com/forum/tax-implication-221960.asp#.UGVlzLIgcZc

Learning

1 Replies

R RAJAGOPALAN (ADVOCATE)     28 September 2012

Query: What will be the tax implication of any bonds or debenture purchased with fixed maturity of double the amount after a fixed tenure.

1) Whether I would have to accrued the interest every year and pay tax on it as per my slab.

2) Whether I would be entitle for Indexation in the maturity year and pay capital gain on it.

Reply: Any claim that the income be assessed as Capital Gains, may not be allowed, as there is no 'transfer' of any  continuing asset, but only total surrender of an asset getting extinguished,  for encashment.

The interest Income can be offered for assessment annually on accrual basis, as per the relevant table of interest.However the ITAT Cochin Bench - see the attached Order- has held that the income can be considered to accrue only when the tax payer gets the right to receive it.

Attached File : 706304487 income accrued, but recvble only on maturity.docx downloaded: 127 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More