I need a legal opinion from your side. Any help would be appreciated.
I received 2 emails from legal recovery department of TATA DOCOMO broadband. It says that I have not paid my outstanding bill of Rs. 5000/- and should pay it up immediately, else a legal action would be initiated against me.
Scenario: We had used the connection for 1 month and had asked for discontinuance of the same over call center call. However, no email confirmation was received, and we did not pay heed. Now, they kept billing us for 4-5 more months and the bill has reached 5k. Here, we did not pay any bill so far, primarily because they kept sending in more bills. Somewhere after 3-4 months I sent a reply that I have disconnected this long back and no future bills should be sent. However, they replied back saying that we will have to pay such amount. And my fault, we did not reply back. And now after almost 8-9 months I receive email threat from this legal recovery deptt. of theirs.
I am willing to pay 1 month dues, but not thereafter.
Please help with the below:
1. What is my legal liability here? Is this a civil/criminal offence?
2. How much amount am I liable to pay?
3. What should be my course of action going forward, given that I intend to pay 1 month`s dues?
4. Do they store bandwiddth usage statistics for each month and can they produce them in the court of law?
5. If they initiate such court cases against me, will it be a problem in my study abroad or any visa process?
Please help legally.