Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nafees Salim Shaikh   16 April 2018

Suspicious/Fraudulent Activities happening in my company

Respected Sir/Madam,

I work as a Travel Consultant in a Backoffice located in Thane of a UK based Travel Agency whose main office is in UK.
I joined this company in Feb 2018. But after joining this company I found thay they are involved in doing lots of fraudulent and suspicious activities.
For Example: From our Backoffice we handle flights/airlines fare quotation enquiries, seats availability, make reservation for UK and Indian passengers on call and collect all payment details on call or thru email. But after collecting payment or charging the passengers debit/credit card they dont issue their Tickets and almost in all cases they issue tickets only one day before the departure date of travel of passengers and if any passengers calls requesting for their Electronic Tickets copy then they fool them by sending them just the Itinerary Copy of their trip. Some of them who dont have any knowledge about all these things gets fooled but some of them who are intelligent they tends to argue and insist us to send the correct tickets. But inspite of receiving the payment the Directors of this company who sits in the UK office force us to tell lies to customers by giving some reasons to give them a hope and try to convince them that they will receive their E-Tickets very soon.

Example 2: If a Passenger done the booking 4 to 6 months in advance from their travel date and made the payment thru Bank Transfer or thru Debit/Credit Card and as usual after receiving the payment they just send the itinerary receipt and later on if the passenger wishes to cancel their reservation or do some changes then as we handle UK Point Of Sale so they Charge 275 british pounds per Passenger as a Cancellation Fee and 225 pounds as a Date Change Fee per Passenger plus fare n tax difference if any. But in reality these Charges will be applicable on passengers whose tickets are already issued and not at all on those passengers whose tickets are not issued so the entire money goes in the management's pocket.

Example 3: When a passengers make the reservation and does the payment by personally visiting our Slough and Lester offices in UK so at that time they collect the payments and issue tickets and give them the tickets printouts but as soon as the passenger leaves the office or on the same day they Void the E-Tickets and issue the fresh tickets with new ticket numbers one day before the passenger travel date. They does all such fraudulent practices bcoz they knows that if a passengers does the flights bookings 3 to 4 months in advance then there is a possibility that he/she might need to change or cancel the reservation before the travel date and this means the company will get bonus income and they wont have to share it with the airlines concerned due to non-issuance of original tickets.

Example 4: If a passenger has done the booking and later on due to some reason opt for cancellation then they dont give the refund amount of their tickets easily and keep irritating the passengers by repeating the dialogues that our agency have not received the refund amount in our account from the airline side thats y we are unable to give the refund to pax but in reality it takes max 3 to 4 weeks to process refund but they makes us inform the passengers that it will take 12 to 14 weeks to receive the refund amount. And inspite of the fact that they receive refund from the airline the Agency's Management staff choose to delay the refund amount to pax.

Right from the time I have joined this company I have came across lots of different above given scenarios where the management has laid guudelines to cheat the passengers by making its staff tell lies to them and we have to obey their orders without objecting to it. My Travel Company is an Iata recognised Agency and they have the Ticketing Authority of only 2 Airlines that is Jet Airways and Air India as these 2 Airlines operates lots of flights especially between UK and India and their Flights Tickets price are Cheaper than other Airlines who operates either only one flight a day or very few flights per week. So as per the management we are instructed to offer and give first preference to the passengers for AI and 9W flights options for their fare quotation enquiries and if pax agrees to the quoted fare then our Agency management gets to fool lots of passengers by implementing on the above given scenarios tactics.

In the last 3 months Me and my Colleagues have attended Calls of different passengers who went to the London Heathrow and Birmingham Airports by carrying the E-Tickets which they collected from the Agency office at the time of doing the payment but after reaching the Check-In Counters they found that their tickets are not valid for travel means it is a Voided Ticket so these type of passengers gets angry and frustrated and contact us demanding for clarification regarding y their tickets were voided and issue/reissue fresh tickets for them asap..!! And some passengers even gives bad words and says that your travel agency are involve in some suspicious activities and we will report to Police or File a case in Court against the Company for their actions.

I have earlier worked in other Travel Companies as well and I know that companies always keep a profit margin on the amount of flights tickets they sold to passengers but I have never witnessed such type of cheap fraudulent and suspicious activities in my professional life journey till date which I have seen and experienced by working in my current company. I feel so pity for those passengers who have became victims of this company's cruel, unethical, unprofessional practices which they have been doing it consistently to reap the benefits and manage their operational expenses. And just in case if any passengers report to Police or file a case against our company then will our Office be raided by Police and can they arrest the entire staff for the company's fraudulent actions..?? or being a responsible citizen shud I upfrontly report to Police about whats going on in the Company..??
I am very much confused and willing to switch my Job asap and join a good ethical company.

So I would like to know the expert opinions, views, feedback and legal advice for my above given scenario.

Regards,
Nafees

Learning

3 Replies

Prasanth   16 April 2018

Hello Nafees

How is Fraud is beneficial to management since they make the ticket void which booked at 4 months earlier but again on demand by customer they book the ticket at this point the ticket price will higher when compared to rates at 4 months earlier that's only a loss for management so why this management is undertaking such activities?

Nafees Salim Shaikh   17 April 2018

Hi Mr. Prasanth, I wud still suggest that you please read my above given scenarios completely then you will be able to understand how this company is looting their customers and bcoz of them we (staff) has to tell so many lies to our customers and bear the brunt of our passengers anger and frustration on a daily basis. I'm a Son-in-law of a retired Police Sub Inspector of Mumbai Police Crime Branch and I informed my Father in law as well about all these things and even he suggested me to quit this current job asap and join some other good company. And honestly speaking then even you have stated right in ur above statement n even I was used to think exactly the same way wen I joined this company but as time passed I observed and understood their business pattern n strategy which they have been using consistently to loot passengers and do fraud with them. One more simple example I will give so just assume You are the Passenger who lives in UK with ur family and books a Return Trip Reservation with our Agency from London or Birmingham to Mumbai 4 months in advance and you agree to the fare quoted to you for your journey on AI flights, you do the payment and as usual to gain the passenger confidence and trust our agency will Issue the Tickets instantly but they will Void the Tickets on the same day itself plus they will cancel the Itinerary as well means they will release the booked seats from the reservation that means they dont have to pay any amount to the concerned airline so if u booked the 4 tickets and u paid around 1600 pounds sterling then the agency management gets to use that amount for handling their other urgent operational expenses and if after 3 months u wishes to cancel the reservation then they will charge you 275 pounds per passenger for doing the cancellation but in reality your booking was already cancelled earlier itself n no tickets exist so cancellation charges are not applicable and the entire money goes into management's pocket. Or just in case after voiding the tickets if they dont cancel the itinerary and keep it as it is and if you wishes to change the dates of ur booking then they will ask u to pay additional 225 pounds per passenger to reissue the tickets wherein they will not reissue but just issue the ticket by changing the dates. And u said that voided tickets will be quite expensive if the agency buys it 4 months later then I wud like to inform that wen any Airline makes the flight seats available for booking then they dont make 100 % of the seats available to book on their website or in any other travel distribution platform. They release only 70 to 80 % of seats in the initial stage and closer to the departure dates they tends to release the remaining seats after analyzing the demand and supply factor. And at this time if any agency which has been providing lots of business to the airline by selling its seats then they have a good diplomatic relationship with the higher authorities of the Airline and they request the Airline Route Administrator/Revenue Manager who has the authority to manage the seat inventory to release some seats for them to accomodate their passengers on the desired flight in the lowest cabin class of service in the rate as it was 4 months earlier. So this is how they dont have to pay any extra amount to the airline than what they collected from pax at the time of booking.. People who r not from Airline/Travel Industry field might not understand my above given examples scenarios but still I tried to explain it in a very simple manner by avoiding using any technical jargons which we use in our field.. But anyway I wud still appreciate anymore views, suggestion and feedback from the readers and experts.

Nafees Salim Shaikh   17 April 2018

Hi Mr. Prasanth, I wud still suggest that you please read my above given scenarios completely then you will be able to understand how this company is looting their customers and bcoz of them we (staff) has to tell so many lies to our customers and bear the brunt of our passengers anger and frustration on a daily basis. I'm a Son-in-law of a retired Police Sub Inspector of Mumbai Police Crime Branch and I informed my Father in law as well about all these things and even he suggested me to quit this current job asap and join some other good company. And honestly speaking then even you have stated right in ur above statement n even I was used to think exactly the same way wen I joined this company but as time passed I observed and understood their business pattern n strategy which they have been using consistently to loot passengers and do fraud with them. One more simple example I will give so just assume You are the Passenger who lives in UK with ur family and books a Return Trip Reservation with our Agency from London or Birmingham to Mumbai 4 months in advance and you agree to the fare quoted to you for your journey on AI flights, you do the payment and as usual to gain the passenger confidence and trust our agency will Issue the Tickets instantly but they will Void the Tickets on the same day itself plus they will cancel the Itinerary as well means they will release the booked seats from the reservation that means they dont have to pay any amount to the concerned airline so if u booked the 4 tickets and u paid around 1600 pounds sterling then the agency management gets to use that amount for handling their other urgent operational expenses and if after 3 months u wishes to cancel the reservation then they will charge you 275 pounds per passenger for doing the cancellation but in reality your booking was already cancelled earlier itself n no tickets exist so cancellation charges are not applicable and the entire money goes into management's pocket. Or just in case after voiding the tickets if they dont cancel the itinerary and keep it as it is and if you wishes to change the dates of ur booking then they will ask u to pay additional 225 pounds per passenger to reissue the tickets wherein they will not reissue but just issue the ticket by changing the dates. And u said that voided tickets will be quite expensive if the agency buys it 4 months later then I wud like to inform that wen any Airline makes the flight seats available for booking then they dont make 100 % of the seats available to book on their website or in any other travel distribution platform. They release only 70 to 80 % of seats in the initial stage and closer to the departure dates they tends to release the remaining seats after analyzing the demand and supply factor. And at this time if any agency which has been providing lots of business to the airline by selling its seats then they have a good diplomatic relationship with the higher authorities of the Airline and they request the Airline Route Administrator/Revenue Manager who has the authority to manage the seat inventory to release some seats for them to accomodate their passengers on the desired flight in the lowest cabin class of service in the rate as it was 4 months earlier. So this is how they dont have to pay any extra amount to the airline than what they collected from pax at the time of booking.. People who r not from Airline/Travel Industry field might not understand my above given examples scenarios but still I tried to explain it in a very simple manner by avoiding using any technical jargons which we use in our field.. But anyway I wud still appreciate anymore views, suggestion and feedback from the readers and experts.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register