LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Amol (Law officer)     12 July 2012

Surety for bail

My friend want to present himself as surety (jamin) for releasing a person on bail from the police custody.

After releasing, if that person again commit any crime, then can police held my friend responsible for that?

Amol S 

Learning

2 Replies

(Guest)

Dear Amol,

No, your friend won't be held responsible for the act done by your friend subsequent to release on bail. However, in the earlier offence, if your friend doesn't turn up before court having been released on bail, the court will issue the surety a notice after issuing warrants as against the accused. The person who stand as surety for the accused is responsible to make the accused remain present before court on every date. In the event, there is a failure, then in such event, as I stated above, the court will issue notice to the surety and give an opportunity to produce the accused. In the event if the surety fails, then the court will issue show cause notice why the property on the basis of which the your friend stood as surety to get the accused released on bail be not forfeited.

If such event comes into picture, your friend can prefer application before the court and pray the court for withdrawl of surety.

1 Like

surjit singh (Assistant)     12 July 2012

I fully agree with Mr Yougesh V. Nayyar. Mr Nayyar elaboration is full and complete and I think there cannot be anything more to be added to this view.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register