Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raja Surya (Teacher)     04 October 2015

Status of a child in inter religious marriage

Hi,

I am Raja from Tamilnadu. I am HINDU (Religion: Reddy) and married to a CHRISTIAN (Religion: Nadar) girl. We married under Christian Marriage Act. We have a son and would like to know what RELIGION and CASTE should be followed for him as per the law?

Learning

5 Replies

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     04 October 2015

When U married under christian marriage act,U must have converted to christanity.If converted  UR son is absolutely a christian as per the act.

Raja Surya (Teacher)     05 October 2015

I have not converted as Christian. 

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     05 October 2015

The religion of the children is an open issue to be decided by the children themselves when they grow up, or let both parents come to a compromise on this issue in the interest of their children, let not their peaceful matrimonial life be spoiled by such non-issue such as religion & bring disharmony in their life, after all this religion has brought so much of distress in the whole world for every one. 

prabhakar advocate (advocate)     05 October 2015

If you are married under Christian Marriage Act, whether you accept or not, you are converted into christianity and the child is christian.  In the case of special marriage Act, the parties to the marriage need not convert their religion and in that case, the child's religion is that in which he has been brought up, tilting more towards father's religion.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     05 October 2015

Indian Christian Marriage Act, 1872                                                                                    Section 4. Marriages to be solemnized according to Act. Every marriage between persons, one or both of whom is [or are] a Christian or Christians, shall be solemnized in accordance with the provisions of the next following section; and any such marriage solemnized otherwise than in accordance with such provisions shall be void.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register