Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

S verma (aaaa)     09 January 2012

Sos: ots on education loan


I had availed an Education Loan of Rs 4 Lakhs for pursuing MBA from Allahabad Bank in 2004.

After course completion in 2006 I started repayment of loans starting April 2007 via EMI of Rs. 7000 per month.

Owing to job loss I stopped paying EMI from November of 2009.

When I checked with bank on the outstanding in Dec 2011 I was told that it is 7.5 Lakhs which I find hard to believe for I had dutifully paid EMI for 30 months.

I had requested bank to waive of late fee & penal interest but according to bank they have not levied any late fee or penal interest.

By the grace of God , I can settle this account just that I expect bank to provide me some concession/rebate towards the total outstanding.

The Bank manager says that if I pay 7.5 lakhs in one go he can offer me a rebate of 7%. As a goodwill gesture & amrk of my intent I have deposited Rs. 50,000 already in December 2011.

I can afford a payment of a lakh a month (not easy but manageable) but not 7.5 lakhs in one go.

Will I still qualify for relief under the RBI OTS scheme?

Is a lump sum payment must or can I have it in 6-7 installments.

Can anyone please quote the circular number for my reference?

Appreciate any help.

Thank you

 4 Replies

Surendra Gupta (Banker)     10 January 2012

You can ask for detailed statement of your education loan account from beginning uptodate either by making a direct request to the bank or under Right to Information Act and satisfy yourself about the correctness of the balance outstanding. Regarding One Time Settlement (OTS), please submit a written proposal and send the same to the bank and its controlling office. You can expect a reasonable reply. The bank can /rather expected to consider your request  favourably

aby (nona)     27 September 2012

Dear  Sir,

I had taken an education loan of 4L in 2006,now it has become 7.5Lcs.I have been paying money in insallments but it  is in NPA status.till now I have paid Approx 3.5-4 Lcs.7.5 lcs more means very much difficult for me..

can anyone tell me

1)Is there any One Time Settlements available?

2)if so,whom should i contact, and should i take a lawyer with  me?

3)how much they can ask me to pay? i mean if i  pay 3-4 lcs(Principal amount) ,will they agree?

4)any Installments scheme?to pay my loan in installments?

Plz Help and guide me   I am very frustated....

VINOD VERMA (C E O)     30 September 2012

The very first step would be to seek copies of loan documents from your bankers, which is obligatory on the part of the bank , to have given you at the time of disbursal of the loan. Second, ask for a complete detailed statement of your account (education Loan). If your bankers  have any OTS scheme for Education loan ask them to provide you with the copy of the same, if they refuse seek information under RTI Act 2005 by simply sending a letter with a Postal order attached for rs. 10/- the Bank is bound to reply you in 30 days. Addionally, lodge a complaint with the Banking Ombudsman, in your area. Yes even the OTS settleemnts can be paid spread into instalments for up to an year without any addional interest burden, but you may have to forgo some down payment benefits. Yours is an unsecured loan, at the most the Bank can go for litigation and reporting your default to CIBIL, there is no need to worry as Litigations in India get prolonged to decades, by that time you would have earned much more to pay even the Banks unjustified demand

B Bold, B Brave, Banks just try to over power the weak persons, they kneel down before the cronic defaulters, in fact, I got a default case of of Rs. 6.5 Crores coming since the year 1987 settled under OTS in the year 2010, for meager amount of Rs. 13.50 Lacs in OTS, on 4th Oct. 2010, and got bank from the Bank, the collateral documents of proerty lying under their custody

RAJU O.F., (Advocate)     02 October 2012

There is no hard and fast rule for OTS for Edu loans. Better have amicable settlement with bank. Bank is entitled to claim the dues as per your agreed terms and conditions, including penal interest if defaulted.  If you can prove that the dues calculated by the bank was wrong, then only you may try for legal remeady.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

LCI Learning Hindu Laws

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query