LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ramesh Singh (Ex Serviceman)     26 April 2015

service tax on maintenance collected by the builder

Can someone let me know whether other charges collected by the builder from the flat owners before handing over the final possession is liable to service tax @ 12.36%. Such other charges includes advance maintenance charges for 24 months, legal charges, society formation charges, cidco land development charge, land stamp duty , electrical Meter sanctioning and installation, clum membership charges etc. I would like to add verdict of Hon'ble Mumbai CESTAT in case of Kumar Rathi builder Vs CCE Pune III on service tax on maintenance (2013) TIOL 1806

Learning

17 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     26 April 2015

You can verify the circular no.17/01/14-ST dated:10-1-2014. Service tax is not applicable on maintenance charge collected by builder/society  (limit Rs.5000/- per month)

Where I can get a copy of this circular?. Kindly let me know. Thanks and Regards

I have read the circular no.175/01/14-ST dated:10-1-2014 which gives exemption to RWA which collects maintenance from its members. However in my case builder is collecting money. Please reply. Thanks

Jeetender Gupta (Advocate)     05 May 2015

Only the RWA which is managing the maintenance is exempted in terms of the abovementioned circular but private developer not exempted & service tax on maintenance will be included. The Rathi judgment might not be applicable as that was for one time maintenance payment / deposit to meet out a statutory requirement as per MOFA act. Running maintenance is a different issue and will attract service tax. 

Deepa   19 August 2015

I have purchased under construction flat in Mulund, Mumbai. The flat cost is Rs 1.45 crore and the carpet area of the flat is 1215 sq ft.

I have made part payment in Oct 2012 and was charged Service Tax @ 3.09%. From March 2013, I was advised the Service Tax has increased to 3.708%. Please advise if this is correct.

Additionally the builder has charged me Service Tax @ 12.36% for the following payments made by us towards charges / deposits which is normally due on completion. Please advise if this is correct. I understand service tax cannot be collected on maintenance charges. Appreciate your guidance.

CLUBHOUSE MEMBERSHIP FEES Rs 370000

SOCIETY FORMATION CHARGES Rs 2500

MAINTENANCE OUTGOING CHARGES (18 MONTHS DEPOSIT) Rs 166500

INFRASTRUCTURE CHARGES Rs 370000

Jeetender Gupta (Advocate)     20 August 2015

Service tax is applicable on all installments. If maintenance is collected by a third party or private agency, maintenance charges will attract service tax. Maintenance Security deposit will not attract service tax. 

Ajay Kumar Singh (Consultant)     29 April 2016

Hi Jeetender,

OK, I also read the notification of Finance Department, says, if third party maintanance to residents of a society, service tax liable. Fine, But please tell me does residents have right to get receipt of paid amount with service tax as per guideline by Service tax departemnt. We are not getting any receipt with printed service provider name, types of service, TIN Number or Service Tax number. We get receipt on a excel sheet paper without above details even no third party service provider name and address. 

Can you guide please wether builder or third party should provide valid receipt as per guideline by Finance dept, Service tax department.

Ajay Kr Singh

Jeetender Gupta (Advocate)     30 April 2016

The agency receiving the maintenance with service tax must issue appropriate invoice / receipt, bearing the amount breakup and the service tax number etc.

Deepa   01 May 2016

Hi,

In my case its the 18 months maintenance security deposit  which is collected by the builder.  the builder is not providing correct receipt with bifurcation.

Please advise if the 18 months maintenance security deposit  attracts service tax.

Kindly also advise how much should the society formation charges be levied.  There is inconsistency in the charges levied by the builder.

Jeetender Gupta (Advocate)     02 May 2016

There can be no service tax on maintenance security. But if it's advance rental, service tax will be applicable. The society formation charges aspect will have to be examined after considering actual expenses etc. In many states it's negligible or few thousand which could be divided among all members of the society.

There can be no service tax on maintenance security. But if it's advance rental, service tax will be applicable. The society formation charges aspect will have to be examined after considering actual expenses etc. In many states it's negligible or few thousand which could be divided among all members of the society.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register