LAW Courses
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mani (freelancer)     19 June 2013

Sending a letter via post which will be legally valid

Need a way to send a letter via postal medium, such that it will be legally accepted in Indian court. ie that the letter with such  and such matter was sent my me to x person, which I could use in court if needed that intimation was served on such a date.

 17 Replies

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     19 June 2013

Send it by registered post with acknowledgment due. The acknowledgment receipt received is a proof of service of the letter.

Jayendra Sevada (Advocate)     19 June 2013

1.  Registered A.D.

2.  Speed Post


Use postal receipts, tracking report and received endorsed A.D. card as a proof to it

Mani (freelancer)     20 June 2013

Thanks Archana and Jayendra for the input,

But I have a doubt still, Can there be some way which will give us proof of what is sent as matter inside the envelope?

Mani (freelancer)     20 June 2013

I mean proof of letter sent as well as proof of what was written in the letter.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     20 June 2013

Proof of despatch of letter and proof of its never having been returned makes it deemed delivery in the eye of evidence law. Irrespective whetehr it is registered/sppeed posst or whether ordinary post.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     20 June 2013


"I mean proof of letter sent as well as proof of what was written in the letter."

As I understand the query  you need to prove the contents of the letter sent per Registered or Speed Post:  You have only to prove that a certain letter has been posted at a given address, and if the address is correct it is assumed that the letter has been received at the destination, however if the receiver wants to contest that the said letter is not received then he has to produce the letter that has been received in the envelope and prove that it bears the signature of the sender and has been sent by the sender.

Good Luck,

Kishor Mehta

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     20 June 2013

proof of letter is discussed above



proof of contents of letter can be proved by the evidence of the person who (i) wrote letter (ii) typed letter (iii) signed letter (iii) despatched  letter etc.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     20 June 2013

with the given vague query you cannot get reply beyond this.

narendra.s.p (Chief Manager(Law))     20 June 2013

Type your letter / notice on inland letter and then send it by Registered Post acknowledgment due.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     20 June 2013

Seen advise of Mr Narendra s.p.  I beleive no better combo solution could be there. For further advise come with facts.

Mani (freelancer)     20 June 2013

Thanks you too much Mr. Sudhir, Mr. Kishore and Mr. Narendra for the inputs. To give more inputs let me try to explain my case I am sending Mr. X repeated letters for 6 months asking him for y information ( remember Mr. X is not gov. employee cant use RTI  ), but there has been no reply from him. Now I have got a gov. notice asking me about the information for which I am dependable on Mr. X untill he sends me the information I cannot reply to gov letter. Just to safegaurd myself against future repurcussion I want to send a letter to Mr. X which I can use in future, that on so & so date I asked him to provide me the information ( ie. why i need something about the proof of matter of the letter too). I dont want to include a lawyer to send a notice coz I dont know in future will the matter go to court & I dont want to be the one taking the matter to court.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     20 June 2013


Very well put by Shri Narendra S.P., valid for short contents, however when the contents are descripttive and need more space?

Good Luck

Kishor Mehta

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     21 June 2013

nothing much understood from recent post.  You already stand advised well on the given facts. consult some lawyer in person or if intentding advise here then stop hide-and-seek game.

Mani (freelancer)     21 June 2013

Thanks to all the friends for the time & effort they have invested in my post.

I just need a clarification, I just have to send the inland letter via registered/ speed post right It should not be enclosing it in a envelope, right.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query