LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

V Kumar Singh (Executive)     04 September 2021

School forcing physical classes by disabling online

Sir, This is matter related to Hyderabad, Telangana. A certain school was running online classes. Now they say they are beginning physical classes from September 6, 2021. And they say they will disable online classes from said date. 

Due to the pandemic, and due to vaccines not yet available for kids, I do not wish to send my child for physical classes but wish to continue online class for her in the same school, as I have already paid substantial fees. This also being almost middle of academic year. 

Can the school disable online classes mid-academic year ? Please suggest. What do I do ?

Learning

2 Replies

Kevin Moses Paul   05 September 2021

As per your query, let me inform you that a two-judge panel, comprising Acting Chief Justice MS Ramchandra Rao and Justice T Vinod Kumar, issued a series of directions on the August 24 Government Order pertaining to reopening of all schools in the State from September 1. It gave the schools the choice of holding physical or virtual classes, or a combination of the two modes.

The panel was dealing with a writ plea in the matter that was filed by B Krishna Mandapati challenging the GO. Later on, considering all the pleas the Telangana HC issued directions stating that no schoolchildren, either private or government, shall be compelled to attend the school physically.
In addition to all this the court also stated that no school shall impose penalties or fines upon children for not attending the physical classes, similar to which the government shall also not impose fines or penalties upon schools for non opening of physical classes.

Hence, concluding it the court finally held that the school's shall not take any undertakings from parents on such, and in case any such undertaking is obtained by school from a parent such undertaking to be held as Void.

Henceforth, the school can open up for offline classes but it can't compel students to take part in it, as it's the choice of children and parents to choose anything between offline or online classes, and in case a student carries on taking online classes the school is not eligible to impose fines upon the students for such act.

This has been held by the Telangana High Court recently, make sure to get a copy of the order and approach the school authorities with the same and drag their attention to the order and all its elements.

No one can force you to send your child to school to attend offline classes, it's a serious matter to do so especially due to the pandemic, thus it's better to carry on with online ones.

Hope It Helps!

Regards,
Kevin M. Paul

V Kumar Singh (Executive)     05 September 2021

Sir, Thank you very much for information. Very grateful !

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register