Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sunidhi Rawat (Advocate)     24 August 2009

Sale of undivided share in HUF property

My query is as under:

"Whether a coparcener in the joint property of Hindu Undivided Family can sell his undivided share, especially when rest of the coparceners are not ready for partition. If not, can he be restrained by way of permanent injunction until she get the partition done by court?"


"While a temporary injunction confines to "pendency of suit", can a permanent injunction be granted upto a specific point of time in future, say partition?


 1 Replies

Anish goyal (Advocate)     24 August 2009

Sir a copacener can't transfer his share in copacenary property as he doesn't have any vested interest in the property. This transfer will be barred by section 6(a) of Transfer Of Property Act . "6.— Property of any kind may be transferred, except as otherwise provided by this Act or by any other law for the time being in force, — (a) The chance of an heir-apparent succeeding to an estate, the chance of a relation obtaining a legacy on the death of a kinsman, or any other mere possibility of a like nature, cannot be transferred. ..." he can only claim partition. If he is selling his share without partition , both temporary and permanent injunction can be issued.
1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register