Civil Procedure Code (CPC)

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Piyush Tiwari   14 July 2021

Rti to find unauthorized people staying at an address

Dear Sir,

There is a trust owned dharamshala near my house. I am aware that certain goons have taken possession and are now staying at that location. From the little knowledge I have , I know collector is one of the parties of the trust. 

Can I file an RTI to find who is staying at that address and how he is allowed there? My ultimate goal is the place should be occupied by people who are authorized by the trust. 

 5 Replies

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     14 July 2021

In case it is a public trust, you can file RTI for getting the particulars of the trust. Aside need to go through the documents thereafter for justifying your locus standi. Otherwise if any nuisance is caused over there you can initiate legal action.

Dr J C Vashista (Lawyer)     15 July 2021

You can file an application under section 6 of the Right to Information Act, 2005 and seek relevant information from concerned Public Information Officer.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     15 July 2021

A private trust is not within the ambit of RTI Act.  If you have strong evidence, you can make a complaint to the commissioner and to the concerned PS and report about abuse/misuse of such trust property.  As social media is most powerful, take the assistance of some journalists on pay roll of some reputed TV.

P. Venu (Advocate)     15 July 2021

In the light of the alleged illegal activities, the remedy lies in registering a criminal complaint. The RTI route would turn out to be inadequate. 

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     15 July 2021

The RTI is about the transparency and accountability of public authorities.  A citizen has a right to seek that information that is available in the form of a physical material (public record) from public authorities and from those organizations that are having the substantial contribution of the capital from Govt.

RTI is never a remedy or concerned with redressal of grievances as misunderstood by citizens even after 12 years.  RTI is a road that may lead to a destination and not a remedy.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query