LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vijay Singla   17 January 2022

Rti related query

I am planning to purchase a house in Mohali Chandigarh. The owner of the house lives overseas and I am dealing with his broker with GPA.
I now need to see the original sale deeds of the house but am unable to get them fro the broker.
Can I file a RTI and get the same from the Punjab Revenue department.

Also when I file the RTI will the owner of the house be intimated about my RTI.

Please suggest.


Vijay Singla


 5 Replies

Megha   17 January 2022


As a first step, please approach the owner directly, explain him the cause of grievance and get a copy of the original sale deed.  This will save you a lot of time and energy.

If the above is not an option, you may file a RIT application for the same along with applicable fees and wait for a period of upto 30 days to receive a response.

Best regards,

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)     17 January 2022

Dear Mr Singla, 

You may file an RTI but since it is a third party information the revenue Department will send a request letter to the Owner and ask for his permission to dislose the said information. 

Therefore, it is advisable that you appraoch the owner directly. do satisfy your self with regard to ownership before entering into any agreement to sell. 


Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)


Disclaimer:- Opinion is only for guidance.  

1 Like

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     18 January 2022

When there is a laid down procedure for getting such certified deed of any document from Registration dept. prior to the enactment of the RTI Act, that procedure should prevail.  A sale deed is a public record and a certified copy can be obtained from the Sub-Registrar office through search and filing application for a certified copy.

I am afraid that the copy of the sale deed submitted to any public authority can not amount to third-party personal information under RTI Act, as it is a Public record.  You can obtain such a copy from a public authority that permitted such construction.

Vijay Singla   18 January 2022

Dear Bhardwaj ji

The owner is a well to do and some what an arrogant person with all due respect.

If he knows I am filing an RTI he may feel offended as I am not trusting his agent's word.

But when such a large amount is involved its better to be sure.

Is there no way I can get the copy of the registry document without making the owner aware of it.

Please respond.

In anyway thank you for your response 



Vijay Singla


Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)     18 January 2022

Dear Mr Singla, 

As far as RTI is concerned, there is no way. In your query you have written Mohali Chandigarh. Both these places are different. Chandigarh is a UT whereas Mohali falls in Punjab. 

If the property you are referring to is n Chandigarh, you simply check the name of the owner on the following website.

The above is the web site of the Chandigarh administration. 



Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)


Diclaimer:- Opinion is only for guidance

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register