25% OFF on all LCI Courses. Offer valid till 5th Oct. Use Code: DUS25
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sridhar V Sridhar (Employee)     13 June 2021

Rti act?

Should I ask information about property details of a xyz person, which I want to know, under RTI Act? 


 2 Replies

Nirali Nayak   15 June 2021

Hello sir, greetings of the day. 
As per your query, you wanted to know, if you can get information about someone else’s property details under RTI act. Well, RTI stands for Right to information. This act gives immense power to the common man to resolve any issues. Any citizen of India can exercise this right to solve any personal or social issues that are prevailing in the society. This act aims at eliminating the bureaucracy and corruption in the system. As per this revolutionary act, a government official or department is liable to answer to the grievance of RTI applicant within 30 days of time. The RTI act for land records also allows one person to know the details concerning the dimension of the land or property, its area, plot number, etc. This information is vital for any existing or prospective property owner. Under Section (2) of RTI act 2005, one can obtain the owner related documents of the property. Only the information including commercial confidence, trade secrets or intellectual property, whose disclosure would harm the competitive position of a third party, is exempted from disclosure under Section 8(1)(d) of RTI Act. 
So yes, you can get to know about someone’s property under Right To Information Act. 
Hope this answers your query.
Nirali Nayak
Law Student

1 Like

Sridhar V Sridhar (Employee)     20 June 2021

Thanks for your detailed reply. If we get no response even from appealate authority, what should we do further?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query