Criminal Trident Pack: IPC, CrPC and IEA by Sr. Adv. G.S Shukla and Adv. Raghav Arora
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

GAJENDRA KUMAR (Service)     09 July 2017

Revoke of the suspension and enhance the subsistance allowance

Sir I am an employee of Food Corporation of India. My case is some different. It is not a departmental case. My case is a criminal case and it is outside of the department, I was arrested in this case at 07/08/2015 and after two months of coustody I was released on bail on 17/10/2015. After this I informed to my office and they immediately passes an order of suspension w.e.f 07/08/2015 for further orders but not mentioned upto when. After one year they served a letter of extension of suspension period for 90 days on 29/11/2015. I am getting 50% salary and so many times I have requested for revocation and increase my subsistence allowance but they are not considering and ignoring it. They are afraid to take decision and also they want to save her skin because my case is pending in court. Orally they are consoling me for revoke but not in written. They have given only one extension of my suspension. According to rules they can extend the suspension first for 90 days and next to 180 days and before the expiry of date of suspension they have to decide whether it has to extend or revoke, if they will decide to extend after the expiration of 90 days then the suspension will automatically revoke. They are not informing me regularly in written that we are extending your suspension. I also want to inform you that I am chargesheeted by the police in my state during my detention period that copy also i have submit to the office. My question is how long they can keep me in suspension according to rules in my case and not what i will do. Can i approach to the CAT. what is the chances for me. Kindly help me.


 25 Replies

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     09 July 2017

A government employee can't be kept suspended for more than three months if not formally informed about the charges, the Supreme Court said Monday.

INDIA Updated: Feb 17, 2015 01:11 IST
Satya Prakash
Satya Prakash 
You can't be put under suspension fo rmore than 3 months and they are bound to revoke the suspension order and enhance your subsitance allowance.You can approach CAT as well for suspension or stay of suspension order till the disposall of the case and get orders for revocation of Suspension order and payment of enhanced  subsistance allowance.
Please read below:
  • A government employee can't be kept suspended for more than three months if not formally informed about the charges, the Supreme Court said Monday.

Based on the principle of human dignity and the right to speedy trial, the landmark verdict is expected to affect lakhs of government employees across India, many of whom are under suspension for years pending departmental proceedings.

"Suspension, specially preceding the formulation of charges, is essentially transitory or temporary in nature, and must perforce be of short duration," a bench headed by justice Vikramjit Sen said.

If the charge sheet or memorandum of charges was served within three month, the suspension could be extended, it ruled.

"If it (suspension) is for an indeterminate period or if its renewal is not based on sound reasoning…, this would render it punitive in nature," the court said.

It agreed with petitioner's senior counsel Nidhesh Gupta that a suspension order can't continue for an unreasonably long period.

Protracted periods of suspension had become the norm and not the exception that they ought to be, the court said. It drew a parallel with criminal investigation wherein a person accused of heinous crime is released from jail after the expiry of 90 days if police fail to file the charge sheet.

The suspended persons suffers even before being charged and "his torment is his knowledge that if and when charged, it will inexorably take an inordinate time for the inquisition or inquiry to come to its culmination". "Much too often this has now become an accompaniment to retirement," the court said, setting aside a direction of the central vigilance commission that required departmental proceedings to be kept in abeyance pending a criminal investigation.

The government, however, was free to transfer the officer concerned to any department in any of its offices to ensure the employee did not misuse contacts for obstructing the probe, the court said.

The order came on a petition filed by defence estate officer Ajay Kumar Choudhary, who was suspended in September 2011 for allegedly issuing wrong no-objection certificates for the use of a four-acre land parcel in Kashmir. After failing to get relief from the Delhi high court, Choudhary had moved the top court in 2013.

Since a charge sheet had already been served on Choudhary, these directions would not apply to his case, the court said.

1 Like

GAJENDRA KUMAR (Service)     09 July 2017

Sir/Madam But u have not mentioned about how long an employee kept in suspension if he is chargesheeted, and i have alredy mentioned that i have chargesheeted by the police. Whether it is necessary that department will also served a chargesheet if any one already chargesheeted as in my case. please guide me

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     09 July 2017

You can't be put under suspension for an indefinite period without periodic review by your employer:If your employment contract says you can be put under suspension  but with pay. If your employment contract doesn't say you can be  put under suspension for grave misconduct  even though it suspends you employer must give you full pay during suspension. You can appeal to the next higher Authority against a unduly delayed suspension order. Please read below.

Govt officials cannot be suspended for indefinite period, rules court

The Jammu and Kashmir high court has come out strongly in favour of dismissed government employees in state. The court on Friday ruled that the suspension of government employees cannot be open-ended or for an indefinite Period

The Jammu and Kashmir high court has come out strongly in favour of dismissed government employees in state. The court on Friday ruled that the suspension of government employees cannot be open-ended or for an indefinite period.

The court ruled that the suspension has to be reviewed after periodic intervals and accordingly be revoked or extended. "Suspension of a government servant will lose validity in case it is not reviewed objectively after periodic intervals and on such review extended or revoked," the judgement read.

A single bench of justice Hasnain Massodi, while quashing the suspension orders, directed respondents to compute retrial benefits due to petitioners and release their pension benefits.
The court was hearing a case of an employee dismissed from service for his alleged role in large-scale embezzlement of government funds in rural development department, Islamabad (Anantnag).

After their challenge to dismissal succeeded, the dismissed employees were reinstated, but simultaneously placed under suspension retrospectively from the date of their dismissal.

"The government employee on his suspension does not cease to be a member of service. He continues to be in service, though temporarily asked not to discharge his usual duties. The employer, where an employee is placed under suspension, is duty-bound to ensure that inquiry into the alleged misconduct of such an employee is concluded with proper dispatch, so that the employee is not exposed to prolonged pain and agony that he suffers because of his suspension," the judge observed.

The judge further observed: "Suspension of a government employee having regard to its object, which is to exclude chances of a government employee facing an allegation of misconduct or criminal charge, influencing inquiry or trial or tampering with the record likely to come against him in support of alleged misconduct or criminal charge, is prospective in character. It can be used only prospectively unless the rules expressly give power to order retrospective suspension, to the competent authority."

Petitioners in another writ petition were placed under suspension on the same charges and attached with the office of divisional commissioner, Kashmir.

The trial in both cases remains to be concluded and the trial court is yet to return a finding on their alleged involvement in what was notoriously known as "Anantnag scam". The petitioners during pendency of the trial retired on superannuating.


1 Like

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     09 July 2017

I wanted to cite two more decisionsof court in your favour but attachment is missing.Please  Keep the attachments back.Please read Union  of India Vs. Suresh  Chandra(The Hon'ble Supreme court decision) in this regard.

1 Like

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     09 July 2017

I wanted to cite two more decisionsof court in your favour but attachment is missing.Please  Keep the attachments back.

1 Like

GAJENDRA KUMAR (Service)     09 July 2017

Kindly send me Madam it is very helpfull to me, I am on the way of conclusion due to your guidance and one more question to you that If a person have chargesheeted by the police then Is it necessary that department will also served a chargesheet again to the employer. Because every orders of the court I have study that chargesheet has to serve by the department with in three month if it is not so then automatically suspension will revoke. The Supreme court of India judgement says it

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     09 July 2017

They are not letting me post the case laws here,..despite several attempts I couldn't  succeed in pasting the c ase laws. Please send an email to me at this email ID.


Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     09 July 2017


Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     10 July 2017

WHAT is the charge

Kumar Doab (FIN)     10 July 2017

Pls respond to Mr. Sudhir Kumar.

GAJENDRA KUMAR (Service)     10 July 2017

charge are in section only 420,468,473,120B

Kumar Doab (FIN)     12 July 2017

You have submitted the copy of charge sheet obtained from police to your office.

What is the fate of this case!


GAJENDRA KUMAR (Service)     12 July 2017

my case is pending and it will take to five years to reopend


GAJENDRA KUMAR (Service)     12 July 2017

I have submitted my chargesheet in feb 2017, in that chargesheet ,i am the co-auused (Not a primary accused) only sections are there against me because of my documents has recovered by police when he raid on the apartment where the primary accused were residing. I have informed to the deparment in November 2015, but they have not given the  any chargesheet to me and delaying in deparmental proceding according to rule regarding my revocation and enhance my subsistance allowance and after one year on 29/11/2016 they have extended my suspension for three months in written and yet also that is the only one letter of extension of my suspension, what to do sir, you also guide me what is your opinion


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query