Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shivabasappa (H O D)     27 March 2014

Retrospective operation of new land act 2013

sir

under old land acquisition act 1894, my Land was acquired  by Karnataka state Govt. and notifications u/s 4(1) on 24 june 2011 and u/s 6(1) on 18 May 2012 and an award was passed u/s 11 on 3 Dec 2013 but I have not accepted the compensation nor given the possession of the land to Govt.  as on 01.01.2014, the day the new act comes into force.

I want to know the provisions of the section 24(2) of the new Land acquisition act 2013. Do all proceeding under old act will lapse? or am I eligible to only compensation part under new act?

The retrospective operation of the section 24(2) is not clear and more confusing.  The section 24(b) and 24(2) are overlapping and confusing everyone.

can any one help me in this?

Learning

4 Replies

Mani (land owner)     21 April 2014

Sir,                                                                                                                                                                                               Sec:24(1)(b):"Wherean award under said section 11 has been made ,then such proceedings shall continue under the provisions of the  said Land Acquisition Act ,as if the said act has not been repealed".

Sec:24(2)"Notwithstanding anything contained in sub sec (1),in case of Land Acquisition Proceedings initiated under the Land Acquisition Act 1894,WHERE AN AWARD under the said section 11  has been made five years or more prior to the commencement of this act ,but the physical possession of the land has not been taken or the compensation has no been paid,the said proceedings shall be deemed to have lapsed  and the appropiriate government,if so chooses,shall initiate the proceedings of  such land acquisition afresh  in accordance with the provisions of this Act"                                                                         The law is very clear.in your case the award was made on 3.12.2013,if it has been made five years ago then sec:24(2) applies.in your case the proceedings will not lapse, also you are not eligible for compensation under new law.in future honourable supreme court may lay dictum on this issuie,we have to wait untill. At present you may try to quash the proceedings by inventing some illegalities,with the help of the revenue people, they can do this if you approach them with proper channel,and ready to spend                                                                                                                                                                                        More over we cannot predict  the policy of the new government.Any how we have to wait untill the new government assumes office.Let us hope possitively.I think your ambiguity has been cleared.            With Warm Regards.,                                                                                                                                                           N.S.MANIMARAN.       E Mail id:gamram3@gmail.com

Sir,                                                                                                                                                                                               Sec:24(1)(b):"Wherean award under said section 11 has been made ,then such proceedings shall continue under the provisions of the  said Land Acquisition Act ,as if the said act has not been repealed".

Sec:24(2)"Notwithstanding anything contained in sub sec (1),in case of Land Acquisition Proceedings initiated under the Land Acquisition Act 1894,WHERE AN AWARD under the said section 11  has been made five years or more prior to the commencement of this act ,but the physical possession of the land has not been taken or the compensation has no been paid,the said proceedings shall be deemed to have lapsed  and the appropiriate government,if so chooses,shall initiate the proceedings of  such land acquisition afresh  in accordance with the provisions of this Act"                                                                         The law is very clear.in your case the award was made on 3.12.2013,if it has been made five years ago then sec:24(2) applies.in your case the proceedings will not lapse, also you are not eligible for compensation under new law.in future honourable supreme court may lay dictum on this issuie,we have to wait untill. At present you may try to quash the proceedings by inventing some illegalities,with the help of the revenue people, they can do this if you approach them with proper channel,and ready to spend                                                                                                                                                                                        More over we cannot predict  the policy of the new government.Any how we have to wait untill the new government assumes office.Let us hope possitively.I think your ambiguity has been cleared.            With Warm Regards.,                                                                                                                                                           N.S.MANIMARAN.       E Mail id:gamram3@gmail.com

sir
I am sorry,   One  thing i forgot in the morning .The new act was notified on 27.9.2013,in your case the award was passed u/s 11 on 3 Dec 2013,based on this you can fight for the compensattion act.this should be interpreted carefully in the court.even then the chances are remote.

With Warm Regards.,                                                                                                                                                           N.S.MANIMARAN.       E Mail id:gamram3@gmail.com

Saurendra Rautray (advocate)     24 May 2015

Hi,

I must disagree with Mr Mani. In your case if i am not wrong your land has been acquired by the Govt under the Land Acquisation Act 1894 and an award has been passed but the posession of the land is still with you. 

You should first find out where the money/your awarded money is lying.

You can challange the land acquisation under the New Land act 2015 not only for getting the acquisation delcare lapse but if not, you can surely get higher compensation as per the new act.

Regards

Saurendra Rautray

Rautray& Co

(New Delhi)

www.rautray.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register