Decode Ballistic Reports Like a Pro. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajesh   08 September 2026

Any law in india regarding call recording

Respected Sir/Madam,

In India when I make or receive a call on my phone I have an option of recording the call.

Now is there any legal mandate that the other party in the call must be notified that call is being recorded.

Is a silently recorded call valid? (Ignore the aspects of verification of the audio and all for the time being)

Note - Some smartphones in India give a recording announcement but mine does not. So when I record a call only I know that call is being recorded. 

Something like single-party consent.

Reason I ask is because I am going to send the recording to someone and they should not aruge that I am legally defaulter as I did not inform them before recording!

Thank you.

Best regards.



Quick Summary
In India, there's no explicit legal mandate requiring notification to the other party before recording a personal phone call. As a participant in the conversation, your consent is generally sufficient, making silently recorded calls valid and not illegal in themselves. While you won't be a 'legal defaulter' for not informing them, be mindful that sharing or misusing recordings can infringe privacy rights.

 2 Replies

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     09 September 2026

Originally posted by : Rajesh
Respected Sir/Madam,
In India when I make or receive a call on my phone I have an option of recording the call.
Now is there any legal mandate that the other party in the call must be notified that call is being recorded.
Is a silently recorded call valid? (Ignore the aspects of verification of the audio and all for the time being)
Note - Some smartphones in India give a recording announcement but mine does not. So when I record a call only I know that call is being recorded. 
Something like single-party consent.
Reason I ask is because I am going to send the recording to someone and they should not aruge that I am legally defaulter as I did not inform them before recording!
Thank you.
Best regards.

When some one is recording call of the caller, s/he should be intimated and there has  to consent of the caller, otherwise  it is intrusion in his/her privacy, which is impermissible.

If someone has silently recorded the call, someone has stolen the conversation hence the recording person is a defaulter.

However, call recording person has to prove its authencity in the Court, even if it is not objected by the caller. 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     11 September 2026

Indian law draws a strict distinction between interception (a third party wiretapping or spying on someone else's phone, which is illegal under the Indian Telegraph Act, 1885) and a participant recording their own conversation.

Unlike some legal jurisdictions globally (like California or Germany), Indian legislation (such as the Indian Telegraph Act or the IT Act) does not have an explicit rule requiring both parties to consent to personal call recordings. Because you are a party to the call, your own consent makes the act of making the recording permissible.

A secretly or silently recorded call is generally valid and not an illegal act in itself. The other party cannot successfully claim you are a "legal defaulter" simply because you pressed record without notifying them.

The Supreme Court of India recognized the Right to Privacy as a fundamental right (Puttaswamy v. Union of India, 2017). While recording a conversation you are a part of for personal protection or record-keeping is permissible, sharing that audio randomly, publishing it publicly, or using it to defame or harass someone can violate privacy laws under Section 72/72A of the Information Technology (IT) Act or lead to civil liability.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register