LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

dastagir ahmed (lawyer)     17 December 2010

Requirements to be a supreme court lawyer

Hello i would  like to know how to register as a supreme court lawyer. What are the requirements? Please explain in detail somebody or past a link where i can get all the details  Thanks

Learning

7 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     17 December 2010

Dear Mr. Dastagir,

The one who practices in Supreme Court are normally called 'Supreme Court lawyer' - though as per Advocates Act, 1961 there are only two classes of  Advocates - Advocates and Senior Advocates.

Supreme Court of india conducts examination for Advocates on Record.  For this an Advocate should have 5 years experience (4 years practice + 1 year training under another Advocate on Record).  Once passing the examination he would be designated as Advocate on Record. Only Advocates on record are permitted to file the cases on behalf of the clients before the Supreme Court.  Though other Advocates can argue the matter, the filing of petition / appeal / documents etc., is to be done only by an Advocate of Record.  Individual parties can file such items themselves. 

Thus, any Advocate for that matter can appear before the Supreme Court.  There is no restriction of any kind.  All that one needs is that he should have been enrolled as an Advocate in any of the Bar Councils and he should have a brief from a client to appear before the Supreme Court.

However, one can get himself registered as a member of the Supreme Court Bar Association.

2 Like

Dear R.Ramachandran thank you for the information.

i would like to  registered as a member of the Supreme Court Bar Association. is there any online form wheer i can regiser and submit ?  please do let me know if any

Nitin (Manager)     11 October 2012

Dear Mr. R. Ramchandran ji

The sort of experiences which you mentioned here for the enrollment in Supreme Court of India should be post qualification or pre qualification.

I have passed my Law (LL.B) in the year 2008 and now would like to know whether eligible to sit in 
Advocate on record examination or not.

Best wishes

Nitin Gupta Advocate

Mobile No. 9411051543

Nitin (Manager)     11 October 2012

By the way thanks in advance for your reply!

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     12 October 2012

Dear Mr. Nitin, your passing the LL.B. in 2008 is not relevant.

What is relevant whether you enrolled yourself as an Advocate.

Next, whether you have completed 4 years after enrolment.

Next whether have you registered yourself with an Advocate on Record for undergoing 1 year training?

If steps 2,3 and 3 above have been done and if you have completed 1 year training under the AOR, then and then alone you are entitled to sit for the AOR exam. Otherwise not.

1 Like

sneha   04 May 2018

Hello,I would like to know what is the basic qualification require to become Supreme Court Lawyer .I have completed LLB in 2017 Now through which Process I can be able to Apply to be part of Supreme Court Lawyer.

Advocate on record Examination  am I eligible for the Exam.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register