LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ramanakumar jeyaraman (software engineer)     16 February 2010

rental deposit no returned by houseowner

hello all,

i am ramanakumar .i work in madurai as a software engineer.,paid a advance of 20000 and  have rental agrement which says so.i stayed in that house  from 26 october to 20 feb (planning to vacate).,for which have given a verbal one month notice as per agrement . it is normal rent agrement for 11 months .i have paid all my rent ( i dont have any proof as in no receipts from owner) properly till date.i am moving out after approximately 4 months . now the owner says he will deduct three months rent in the advance amount,which is not mentioned in the rental agreement ...what should i do ? should i go to court or should i go to police? i need some legal advice on this ..

thanks in advance....much appreciated



 5 Replies

H.D.Kumaravelu (Advocate)     16 February 2010


As per your version who intent to vacate only after 4 months oppox. Now the situtaion is that only if you vacate and hand over the key, the adavance amount will be returned till then rent is payable. The owner cannot deduct 3 month rent in the advance amount. You may say to your land lord that hereafter the future rents payable can be deducted in the advance amount since you are vacating. In case you land lord still says he will deduct 3 months rent on your handing over the key, you can give a criminal complaint to the local limit police station.

1 Like

ramanakumar jeyaraman (software engineer)     16 February 2010

hello sir,

thanks for the prompt reply .i am planning to vacate on 20 of feb 2010 .i am ready to pay the rent till 20 th feb .now i have small problem that i have paid all my rent but i dont have rent receipts for that ,if i take legal course will this be problem?....is there any way i can go to consumer court

H.D.Kumaravelu (Advocate)     16 February 2010


Pay the current month rent by a receipt prepared by you stating that the rent is for the period Feb 2010. get his signature in the receipt.Well that will be a document for nil rent arrears.

1 Like

ramanakumar jeyaraman (software engineer)     16 February 2010

thank you sir for ur reply thats is good idea....do i need to get a sign on the paper while handing over the keys to him with witness saying that the house was in proper condition?


if at all he does not give me the money after this ? can i give him legal notice and take him to court and make him pay my legals fees,+ humiliation fees+ the rental deposit ? is there is any option for all this ....


once again thank you very much in advance

H.D.Kumaravelu (Advocate)     17 February 2010


Your suggestions is correct. You have the right to move the civil court for getting back the advance amount with interest and also cost. Thank you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads