Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shree. ( Advocate.)     15 April 2008

Regarding elections????????

Hello, 

I heard that a citizen can go to the election booth in India and can tell the election official that he is not willing to vote for any person.  They say that it is valid.

I want to know if it is valid or not..  And, i heard that if a majority of the persons do so in a constituency,  the election stands cancelled and the contestants should not contest in the re-election.// Is it true?  if so, what is the required majority..

Please reply

Learning

2 Replies

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     28 April 2008

Chapter XX of the Hand Book released by the ECI is as follows:

CHAPTER XX

ELECTORS DECIDING NOT TO VOTE

1.1 If an elector, after his electoral roll number has been duly entered in the Register of Voters (Form
17A) and he has put his signature/thumb impression on that register, decides not to record his
vote, he shall not be forced or compelled to record his vote.
1.2 A remark to the effect that he has decided not to record his vote – “Refused to Vote”- shall be
made by you in the remarks column against the entry relating to him in the register of voters. You
shall put your full signature below that remark.
1.3 The signature or thumb impression of the elector shall also be obtained against such remark under
rule 49Q.
1.4 It shall, however, not be necessary to make any change in the serial number of the elector or of
any succeeding electors in column (1) of the Register of Voters.
1.5 If the “Ballot” button on the control unit has been pressed to release voting on the balloting unit
by a voter and he refuses to vote, either you/third Polling Officer, whoever is in-charge of the
control unit, should direct the next voter straightaway to proceed to the voting compartment to
record his vote or put the ‘Power’ switch in the rear compartment of the control unit to ‘OFF’ position,
then to ‘ON’ position, press the ‘Ballot’ button and direct the next voter to proceed to the voting
compartment to record his vote. If the “Ballot” button on the control unit has been pressed to
release voting on the balloting unit and the last voter refuses to vote, you/third Polling Officer,
whoever is in-charge of the control unit shall put the ‘Power’ switch in the rear compartment of
the control unit to ‘OFF’ position and disconnect the balloting unit(s) from the control unit. After
disconnecting the balloting unit(s) from the control unit the ‘Power’ switch should again be put
‘ON’. Now the ‘Busy’ lamp will go off and the ‘Close’ button will become functional to close the
poll.
CHAP

Vidya (Student)     14 May 2008

Greetings, I had the same question what Mr. Shreeram asked. Today I came to know that such a rule or section or article does exist in constitution. Am happy to know this and at the same time feeling bad, that I didnot execute or express my intention "Will not vote or Not interested to vote". I wonder why people not aware of such an act rather it wasnt disclosed.... I felt that there is no option left with the voter than selecting any of the contestent.... Thanks Vidya

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register