LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

TroubledGuy (nope)     17 November 2011

Troubled by reliance- please advise

This afternoon (2.30 PM) I got a call from a lady who claimed to be some advocate appointed by Reliance and she mentioned that there is a phone number registered with Reliance under my name which has a overdue amount of Rs.6600. She wanted me to go to a reliance store and pay that amount by 4.30 PM else she would file a case against me. She game me the phone number and an account number for the same. She mentioned that the due was from one or two year back and the number is from Kolkata.,
She again called me at 4.45 PM and asked If I have paid the amount else she is going to file the case against me.

I told her on both the calls that I am not aware of any such due amounts and I dont own the number.

What Idid not tell here..

I did have a reliance connection but that was way back in 2003, which was under their initial scheme of DAPO (3 years contract). I used it for around 3 years, teh contract got over and stopped using it. I dont remember exact details but as far as I remember, I closed my account with them too.

Also, I have not stayed in Kolkata for last 4 years or so so if the bill is from last 1-2 years, from Kolkata, it could not be mine.

What I need to understand and need your advice is..
a) What is the validity of this claim  from the advocate from legal perspective ?

b) If at all after my surrendering the connection, Reliance have not closed the account and kept it live to pile up this due amount - how do I protect myself and prove that I did close the account ?

c) If at all there is a due, why was reliance sitting on it for so many years ? I have never received a single communication of any sort from Reliance in these many years. Can this be used to protect myself.

Please advise..

Thanks..

Learning

4 Replies

(Guest)

the limitationm is only three years. yoyu don't worry about it. the claim is time barred.  

1 Like

TroubledGuy (nope)     17 November 2011

Thanks a ton Mr. Ganeshan. Appreciate your help.

V R SHROFF (Sr. ADVOCATE Bombay High Court Mob: 9892432152)     18 November 2011

WAIT FOR LEGAL NOTICE, TILL THEN SLEEP PEACEFULLY. 

Ganeshan is right, it shd be a time barred due.

however, theyt keep it alive, bring within limitation, giant co r no fools, they have their best of legal experts to run 1000 cr business, have very powerful recovery machinery of law, so never under estimate, written contract , if not cancelled & confirmed , it continue with your liability to pay. 

so wait & when u rcd notice, challenge it.  

(Guest)

They do the mischief in Fine Print, unlike US which has made it mandatory for all corporations to post warnings that FINE MUST BE READ FIRST.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register