Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Arjun Vaishnava (Service)     12 August 2009

Procedure for registering before Bar Council

Dear all members,

I am 58 years old and serving in a CPSU.  I got my law degree in the year 1986 and still not registered in any Bar Council.  After retirement, I want to start my legal practice. In view of the above, I would like to know the exact procedure for getting myself registered as practicing advocate in the Bar Council of Chhattisgarh.

Thanks in advance.


 5 Replies

P.Elamaran (Law Officer in a CPSU)     12 August 2009

Dear Mr.Vaishnav,

I htink, there is absolutely no problem for you to get yourself registered before the Bar Council of Chhattisgarh. However, you have to state reasons for delayed registration. You may state that you have been in service in a CPSU for the past 25 years. This column for reasons for delayed registration may be in your application form itself.

M. PIRAVI PERUMAL (Advocate & Consumer Rights)     12 August 2009



State Bar Councils are charged with the duty of enrolment of qualified and eligible persons as advocates. State Bar Councils have framed enrolment rules prescribing various conditions and the applications for enrolment submitted by the candidates are scrutinized and placed before the Enrolment Committee for passing necessary orders and issue enrolment certificates to the candidates.


The duration of the enrolment carried out by State Bar Councils vary from weekly enrolment to enrolment on monthly basis or quarterly or half yearly basis. For information regarding enrolment, candidates may get in touch with concerned State Bar Councils.


Under Section 24(1)(f) of the Advocates Act, 1961 an enrolment fee is fixed at Rs.750/- out of which Rs.600/- goes to the State Bar Councils and Rs.150/- is the share of the Bar Council of India. These two amounts have to paid by the candidates by way of Demand Draft separately drawn in favour of the State Bar Councils and Bar Council of India.


Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     12 August 2009

better visit the concerned State bar Council Office and look for details in the brochure.

pranjal (no)     15 January 2014

i am just pass my law courses, i dont now any thing about procedure of enrollment all india bar council exam and fee 


plz tell me about fee, because my senior tell me lumsum of 16000rs fee for registration  

Vineet Kumar (-)     16 January 2014

Hello Pranjal

I would advise to contact your respective State Bar Council for the enrollment as an Advocate and the registration for All India Bar Exam(AIBE). 

Before appearing for the AIBE you have to enroll as an Advocate with a State Bar Council.

The enrollment fee and the examination fees for the AIBE will be around Rs. 10,000.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query