Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     23 March 2010

Lesson in morality

Live-in relationship, pre-marital s*x not an offence: SC

I say nothing is an offence now in India.

Learning

9 Replies

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     23 March 2010

anil sir, please give me the source.

Adv. karinamishra (-)     23 March 2010

No offence in pre-marital s*x, live-in relationship, says Supreme Court

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 20:18 IST

New Delhi: In an observation that is bound to cheer votaries of pre-marital s*x and live-in-relationships, the Supreme Court today said a man and a woman living together without marriage did not constitute an offence.

art_imgs = 0; cur_art_img = 1; function prev(){ for (i=1;i<=art_imgs;i++){ document.getElementById("art_img_"+i).style.display = "none"; } if(cur_art_img==1){ cur_art_img = art_imgs; }else{ cur_art_img -= 1; } document.getElementById("art_img_"+cur_art_img).style.display = "block"; } function next(){ for (i=1;i<=art_imgs;i++){ document.getElementById("art_img_"+i).style.display = "none"; } if(cur_art_img==art_imgs){ cur_art_img = 1; }else{ cur_art_img += 1; } document.getElementById("art_img_"+cur_art_img).style.display = "block"; }

"When two adult people want to live together, what is the offence? Does it amount to an offence ? Living together is not an offence. It cannot be an offence," a bench comprising chief justice KG Balakrishnan, justice Deepak Verma, and justice BS Chauhan observed.

The court said that even Lord Krishna and Radha lived together, according to mythology.

The apex court said there was no law prohibiting live-in relationships or pre-marital s*x.

The apex court made the observation while reserving its judgment on a special leave petiton filed by South Indian actress Khushboo seeking to quash 22 criminal cases filed against her after she allegedly endorsed pre-maritial s*x in interviews to various magazines in 2005.

The justices grilled the counsel for some of the complainants in the case and repeatedly stressed that the perceived immoral activities could not be branded as offences.

The argument of the counsel was that Khushboo's comments allegedly endorsing pre-marital s*x would adversely affect the minds of young people, leading to decay in moral values and the country's ethos.

"Please tell us what is the offence and under which section. Living together is a [part of the] right to life," the apex court said, referring to Article 21, which guarantees the right to life and liberty as a fundamental right.

The court further said the views expressed by Khushboo were personal. "How does it concern you? We are not bothered. At the
most it is a personal view. How is it an offence? Under which
provision of the law?" the bench asked the counsel.

The court further asked the complainants to produce evidence to show if any girls had eloped from their homes after the interview appeared.

"How many homes have been affected, can you tell us?" the bench asked while enquiring whether the complainants had daughters. When the response was in the negative, they shot
back, "Then how are you adversely affected?"

Khushboo had approached the Supreme Court after the Madras high court in 2008 dismissed her plea to quash the criminal cases filed against her throughout Tamil Nadu

Source:- DNA

2 Like

mahendrakumar (marketing)     24 March 2010

from the very  beginning of mankind men and women had such relationship.  what can a court do about it? Further unlike others with pseudo standards, Khusboo was open in her remarks.

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     24 March 2010

'Leaving together' versus ‘marriage’

There was a question in Sukhdukh.com that “Do women in India believe in living together with a ‘boy friend’ before marriage?”
My answer was -
· First of all, do not categorise all men and women in one or same category in this regard.
· A section of people do this and believe it as ‘no wrong’.
· I know a good amount of people going through such type of relationship and they become parents latter on.
· Our ‘film industry’ and the ‘political arena’ are the biggest producer of such relationship.
· Even middle class and poor section also go through it-in good numbers.
· Still then people(man and woman both) believe and relay more on - marriage. They feel - free & reliable – ‘the marriage’ more than the · ‘leaving together’. Actually it is due to their social habit.
· Do not mark ‘leaving together’, as an western culture, it is an ancient Indian culture also.
· Do not be confused about ‘leaving together’ as a modern concept introduced in modern society. It is as old as the human society come to its existance. In comparison between marriage & leaving together marriage is a new concept introduced in the society. Therefore leaving together is the older and original, system than the marriage.

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     24 March 2010

thanks ms. karina mishra.

mahendrakumar (marketing)     24 March 2010

very good observation Mr.Arup Kumar.

we, indians had a history of more deplorable customs like,  "Devadassi" syatem and

child marriage etc with regards to s*x. Then why should we condemn the liberal attitude of the SC in the living in judgement?

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     25 March 2010

yes mr mahendrakumar you are right.

Rajan Salvi (Lawyer)     25 March 2010

Morality cannot be restricted to the groins. It is much more than that.

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     25 March 2010

morility must have based in ground reality. otherwise it is another kind of immorality or hipocracy.

recall the activities of mns, who bet the young boys and girls at mumbai in the name of morality. same thingh happened in karnatak, and some other places of our country, by the different organisations.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register