New LIVE Course: Learn the Practical Nuances of IPR Drafting by Adv. Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jack Sparrow (IT professional)     20 December 2010

Query regarding marriage

Hi all,

I stay in Ahmedabad. My girlfriend stays in Kolkata and my permanent house is also in Kolkata. We want to marry each other. My girlfriend's parents are against this marriage and they are forcing her into marriage with somebody. She wants to flee away from her house and come to me and marry here.

But the problem is she has to stay with me in Ahmedabad before we get the court marriage and it takes around 15 days. So is there any legal complication in case her parents want to do something legally against us ? Please advice us so that we can take correct step


 9 Replies

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     20 December 2010

they may file a complaint that you abducted her.

good to do work early as possible

1 Like

Jack Sparrow (IT professional)     20 December 2010


So is there any way we can avoid these complications? I would highly appreciate if you can give me some suggestions. The girl is coming by herself from West Bengal to Gujarat. If I keep her in a PG here or don't stay together for some days till we get registered will that avoid the complication?Would be waiting for your advice on this.

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     20 December 2010

Parents may file a complaint against you , but if the girls agrees that she has come willfully then no problem for you. On thing I want to clarify you that there wont be any court marriage. Itz wrong concept. My advise is get married her in the temple and temple authroity will issue receipt for the marriage.  Take that receipt and produce before the registrar of marriages ( sub-registrar of the taluka who acts as registrar of marriages) after one month he will issue the certificate.  After this even if complaint is filed parents and police can't do anything.

1 Like


if the girl is minor definitely the criminal action will be initiated against you.

better consult a local lawyer to register your marriage with registrar of marriages.

Padam (Lawyer)     22 December 2010

I Fully agree with Mr. Rajeev Ji, you have to follow the steps mentioned by mr. rajeev above. You can cerimonial marriage in a Gurudwara also...

1 Like

Jack Sparrow (IT professional)     22 December 2010

Hi Rajeeb ji,


I have consulted a local lawyer and he told that he will get me married in a temple and then register the marriage the next day and he will give me registered marriage certificate in 2 days. So is this possible? Since you are very much aware of the law, I would like your advice so that no complications happen next.

I don't want the marriage to be nullified at any cost even if her parents puts up a case or create some issues later. I am just trying to understand that will the above procedure be possible? Because I need it urgently since the girl has to stay with me since she is leaving her home and coming to my city. 

Any advice from your side will be highly appreciated.

Jack Sparrow (IT professional)     22 December 2010


I would like to thank all of you for helping and advising me. In this case my girlfriend is 21+ years of age. I would like to know whether the local lawyer I have consulted is taking me to the right direction to avoid complications later.

Would wait for your reply on this.

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     23 December 2010

yes he is right. But What will you do if the parents of your girl friend file case against your parents/relatives?

Anjali (IT)     23 December 2010

the local lawyer is correct...marry the girl in Kolkata temple, register the marriage with temple receipt , go to police commissioner office , file a complaint against the girl's parents that  her parents are trying to abduct your wife....make sure you got valid proof , temple receipt, some photos , witness, registrar certificate...etc

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register