Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

gk (Service)     06 November 2012

Purchase of agricultural land by nri

Dear Experts,

My brother whos is a NRI wish to purchase an agricultural land approximately 1.75 acres in Tamilnadu (in Coimbatore district) and the proceedings are going on, including an advance token money been given.  We have made some enquiries through some of our known advocated (local) to clarify about any disputes or legal formalities on this regard and they have informed us that no such things.

But one of my friends is telling that there are some issues on this regard such that NRI is restricted or not permitted to buy agricultural land.

Please clarify my doubt as early as possible since the proceedings are going on for the above at present and we do not wish to face any problem in the eleventh hour.

Your clear clarification on this will be very much helpful to us to make immediate decision on further formalities on the above.

Thanks in advance

with best regards

gk

Learning

4 Replies

GIRISH KUMAR AJARIWAL (Advocate )     06 November 2012

Yes, a non-resident Indian can buy either a residential property or a commercial property in India. Further, there is no limit on the number of residential or commercial properties that an NRI can purchase in India. Exception: An NRI however cannot buy agricultural land, plantation land or a farm house in India. He cannot even acquire such property as a gift. There is however, no bar on inheriting such property.

Varun Desai (Advocate)     06 November 2012

Hello,

NRI is restricted to invest or purchase of agricultural land in India

Adv Akhtar Ali Sheikh (Property Law Consultant)     06 November 2012

nri cannot purchase agricultural land under FEMA law as per the RBI directive.

gk (Service)     07 November 2012

Thank you very much sir for your quick reply and I hope even with a joint partnership (with a resident Indian) also not allowed .....  since I have checked with some document writers bu they are fully unaware on this regard.

once again, my sincere thanks sir for sparing your valuable time for me.

with best regards

gk

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register