LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Belinda G (Senior Associate)     12 November 2010

Protecting Title

Hello I am an Australian lawyer.  Our client has an agreement to build on and lease land in Chennai.  We may end up in dispute with the builder/landlord.  Here, we place a caveat on the property title to prevent the owner registering an interest without our knowledge.  I have researched caveats in India and they seem only available under section 148A of the CPC.  Is this right?  Is there a protection similar to our caveats I can place on the title to protect our client's interest?

Many thanks in anticipation

Learning

6 Replies

suresh (Advocate)     12 November 2010

Dear Mr. Belinda.G

Yest it is true that caveat is filed under section 148A of the Civil Procedure Code 1908 in India, and it is valid for 90 days only, after expiry you need file another fresh caveat petition.

On filing of the caveat petition if the builder/landlord files any suit/case as against your client he will not get any exparte order without your client knowledge.

regards

suresh

Balakumar.S (Self-employed)     12 November 2010

Yes Advocate Suresh is correct.

kumarasrinivas kanigiri (PRIVATE PRACTICE)     13 November 2010

Iwhat Mr. suresh is said is correct to the extent of caveat petition. 

Whereas the said caveat will not prevent the owner registering an interest to third parties without your knowledge. 

The caveat purpose is if the said person files any suit and may obtain ex-parte orders, such a thing will be prevented by filing the caveat petition.

As for as your query is concerned, you should have to take course of legal action for your redressal basing on the rights and interest you have against the builder/landlord.

Belinda G (Senior Associate)     17 November 2010

Many thanks for your assistance, it has been very helpful.

Belinda G (Senior Associate)     17 November 2010

What I really want to do is to stop the owner of the land selling or leasing the property without my client's approval or knowledge.  Is there some mechanism to register my client's interest in the land (which has been created by an agreemenrt by my client and the owner of the land).

In my client's situation, the owner has no cause of action against my client.  But they could sell the land without our knowledge and that is what i am trying to prevent.

kumarasrinivas kanigiri (PRIVATE PRACTICE)     17 November 2010

basing on your client's agreement with the owner, the rights which your client acquire by virtue of the said agreement, he can file suit for apporopriate relief and thereby restrain the owner from alienating to third parties without the knowledge of your client.  that is the only course of action for your client.   the nature of the agreement  and its recitals are crucial.  hope you understand.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register