Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

M K Sharma (Govt)     24 June 2013

Property willed by meternal uncle

Dear Experts,

I was gifted with a house property in Uttrakhand by my meternal uncle through an undated will. He had no children. The will was not registered, but his wife and one unmarried sister had signed it as witness. The property was purchased by him out of his own earnings. He had put a clause in the will that I had no right to sell the property till his wife and the unmarried sister were alive. They had the right to stay in that house for their lifetime and could not sell it. My uncle expired in 2007 and I got the property transferred in my name, after obtaining the NOC from his wife and unmarried sister. Everyone in the family knew that the property belonged to me and there appeared no dispute. I have been regularly paying property tax also.

Both the ladies (my mamiji and mausiji) passed away subsequently. Now one of my cousin (son of my another meternal uncle) has staked the claim to that property. He has also produced a will dated one month before the death of my mamaji. The Will is signed by two of our relatives, who had approached me earlier for a share in the property. It is notorised and not registered. I am told that Will in Uttrakhand after 2005 have to be mendatorily registered.

To me it appears a fake Will. The reason for this is that this cousin of mine alongwith few other relatives were trying to persuade me to sell the property and share the proceeds with them.  Secondly, in normal circumstances if he had the genuine Will, he would have produced it much earlier, at the time of death of my meternal uncle. As per the procedure, when the property was transferred in my name, he did not raise any objection. He is still persuing me through some relatives, to let the property transfer in his name and then he will share the proceeds with me. They being local residents and I being staying in Delhi, I do not have much access to the property as of now.

He had approached municipal corporation for transfer of property in his name, to which I had objected. The authorities told me that now the case will be decided in the court. More than eight months have passed but so far the case has not been listed in any court. I have following questions.

1.  Who is required to go to the Court? (Me, he or the municiple corporation)

2.   Can he get the property transferred without me knowing about it? I do not have any local contact to monitor the case on day to day basis.

3.     Can he sell the property, without being in his name.

4.    Presently, he has virtually shunted us out of that property. We gave keys to one relative, who turned out to be his man and handed over the keys to him. Can we claim possession on the property?

5.    I was emotionally attached to my meternal uncle and have no desire to sell the property. Can I transfer this to some cheritable trust? Will they be able to reclaim the possession.

6.   Can I mortgage the property?

I understand the best way to resolve a dispute is by mediation. But I know for sure that he is playing dirty and as a good law abiding citizen I do not wish to compromise on principles.

Your guidance will help me in making up my mind as to how should I proceed.

Thanks 

Learning

3 Replies

Lata Lochav (professional)     24 June 2013

Since the property of your uncle is self-owned, he had right to dispose the property, the way he liked. He made a will with contingency, which was fully served by you, no dispute on contingency, its great. Since objection raising time on transfer of property has lapsed, and the property is presently mutated to your name, so there seems no ground left with others to raise claim. Even then the material in the other will may be considered by the court, if case is registered. And if case is registered, then naturally, you will be the opponent, hence court is under a duty to serve you a notice. And as you wrote, you were not served with any notice, so filing of case is in doubt. you have all right to claim the possession, and if someone objects,take the help of law and order maintaining agency,i.e. police, by showing your conveyance deed.

Regarding the property transfer, you have a valid transfer in your name already, so what is the point to file a case. what relief you will ask the court in that case.

Regarding the possession of the property, go there and object on the wrong you find in the property, and act deligently, and objection happens from any side, you just show your conveyance deed and claim the uninterrupted possession by complaining in the concerned police station.

Going a little beyond and safeguarding side, ask any local lawyer to get the revenue report of the property. 

Dear Lata Lochav,

Thank you for your valuable advice.

If the revenue report you are referring to is the report which the Nagarpalika gives on Rs 10/- stamp paper. I already have that.  My question is that since he had applied for registration of property in his name, do I need to file a case or something restricting him or will the municipal corporation send the case for decission to the judiciary, or his claim gets rejected suo-motto and no action is needed. You also mentioned "Objection raising time". What is this?

Thanks once again

Dear Lata Lochav,

Thank you for your valuable advice.

If the revenue report you are referring to is the report which the Nagarpalika gives on Rs 10/- stamp paper. I already have that.  My question is that since he had applied for registration of property in his name, do I need to file a case or something restricting him or will the municipal corporation send the case for decission to the judiciary, or his claim gets rejected suo-motto and no action is needed. You also mentioned "Objection raising time". What is this?

Thanks once again

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register