LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sendhil Annamalai (COO)     18 June 2013

Property tax & water tax

Dear patrons,


I have bought a Flat ( it has 11 house, as 2 blocks)  in chennai  about  two years before.

it was handed over to me an year before, during that time the Builder was asking money to get the property tax chellan from the corporation . i denied since it was not legal, but he was insisting me that its been asked by the local body.  But i made it clear that i will not.

very recently my tenant called me that there is no water supply , since the corporation disconnected the water supply to the apartments ( both block has got a separate connections)

I visited the corporation office along with the other few people,  and thought of paying my property tax too, surprisingly the following were found out,

a. 2 houses (one is mine and another house ) name itself not there in the corporation list ( they were claiming that there were no house (!). All the other houses survey done and got their property tax chellan and paid the same. 

b. when i went and checked with the concern person , he is claiming that i have to pay some money to get the documents.. he is not ready to release.

c. for the water tax, we the apartment builder has paid till april 2012. after that the local body have converted the same as individual connection and cancelled the old one!!!!  so they are asking to pay to the local body to get the connection again.

My 2 questions are ...

1, as a citizen ready to pay the Property Tax the officials are not ready to take it in right manner.

2. who has to get the approval for the property tax ( is it the duty of the purchaser or the builder)?

3. For what tax what way we can get cleared , though we have paid last year this year also they want to make the people to pay...

4. As a builder how many year he has to run these issues>? is there any clause?

Sendhil Annamalai


 1 Replies

Paras Awasthi (Businessman)     25 June 2013



You can get a detailed reply to your Query from www.lawkonect.com.


Visit Lawkonect.com and you post an online query on the website, you will get a detailed reply on your query from practising porperty lawyers. The answers would include information on the law as well as the procedure/possibilities that you have. The reply would be made taking into consideration your personal case.



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register