LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

legal (advocate)     15 March 2008

Property rights of an only married daughter

Hello All,

I am ashwini. I will be getting married shortly in an intercaste love marriage to which my parents are opposed. I am the only daughter without any other brothers or sisters. My father has property handed over by my grandfather also he has acquired many others.

He has threteaned me that he will disown me and not give anything if i marry against his wish. Can my father do this legally ? can i claim my share if he decides to give away the property to someone else or donate it to any trust/orphanage ? do i have any rights/say over the poperty inherited as well acquired by my father ?. what steps can i take if my parents decide to do this ?

thanks in advance


 4 Replies

Guest (n/a)     17 March 2008

i had filled an disciplinary case against a lawer at nasik and th eentire proceeds of hearing had been finishad in 2004 before bar council of indiasmembers but still as on today 17 march 2008 have got no result i also have sent two reminders to bar council of indai would like to know what do i have to do in this regards

Jithendra.H.J (Lawyer)     12 April 2008

it depends, on to which religion you belong to,
if you are a hindhu, your father cannot transfer the properties to others, he may do so just to harrass you but i think as a father he wont do like that. if he trasnferr the property you have to fight in the court and sure the case will be decided in favour.
if you are certain that he is going to sell the propertes you can appraoch the court and get an injunction order in your favour and against your father not to alienate the properties, in these type of cases the courts certainly pass injunction orders.

Aarti (house wife)     27 May 2011


I am a house wife married in mumbai from the last 36 years. I was born in coimabtore with a couple of siblings. We are a total of 4 brothers and 3 sisters along with my mother. I doubt if my father has left behind any will of succession. My mother has gotten old and now my brothers intend to sell the property and divide the proceeds amongst themselves without giving anything to my mother. I fear that as my mother is old they have brainwashed her and are ultimately going to put her up in the old age home. I would like to find out how do we sisters put a hinderance to this sale of property.

Also we sisters would like to find out though all of us are married can we put a claim to our fathers property inspite of being married??


Bharatkumar (ADVOCATE )     28 May 2011


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register