LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prokash Barman (Legal practitioner )     22 March 2023

Previous conviction

  1. Which section deals with previous conviction or previously convicted person in CRPC or Evidence Act.

  2. How to proof any person are previously convicted in any civil suit or criminal proceedings.

  3. Stage of proof that person are previously convicted. 

  4. Is any application or petition require to court for such proof.

  5. If any application or petition are required for such proof.. Please give the formats of such application or petition. 

  6. Thanks to all L.d Advocates 


 4 Replies

RAKESH ISHI   24 March 2023

The provisions relating to previous conviction or previously convicted person are dealt with in various sections of the Indian Evidence Act and the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC)

To prove that a person is previously convicted in any civil suit or criminal proceeding, a certified copy of the conviction order must be produced before the court. The certified copy can be obtained from the court that passed the conviction order.

The stage of proof that a person is previously convicted depends on the specific context and purpose of the proof. In a criminal trial, the accused may be asked about his previous convictions at the commencement of the trial. In a civil suit, the proof of previous conviction may be relevant to the credibility of a witness or to the assessment of damages.


It is advisable to consult a legal professional or a court clerk for guidance on the format and procedure for filing such an application or petition.

Adv. Mohit Chahal (Advocate)     25 March 2023

Dear Querist

If you share facts of your case then more specified answer would be given to you.

Mohit Chahal
Phone No. 9968911099



Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     26 March 2023

You may better share facts of the case rather than setting question paper.

Amora Potter   17 July 2023

To prove that a person has a previous conviction in a civil suit or criminal proceedings, you would typically need to rely on relevant documents such as certified copies of judgments, orders, mapquest directions, or decrees of courts of justice. These documents can serve as evidence to establish the fact of a previous conviction.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register