Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ram (Student)     26 February 2013

Pow - adjudication procedures

Hi

I'm living in US and I wanted to purchase a flat in Chennai. I gave POA to my mother-in-law who is a resident of Pondichderry. I had clearly mentioned in my power that I'm giving power to my mil to buy properties in any state. She consulted a lwayer and had registered it in Pondicherry with Rs. 100 stamp fixed to the POA, as per the lawyer. The lawyer said that the power has been activated and it should be fine now. I took this to the builders in Chennai and the office person said everything was fine.

Now, after 3 months, the builders have comeback and said that the POA needs to be adjudicated in TN and the time frame for the adjudication is only 90 days from the date of the US embassy seal. As it has been more than 90 days since I got the embassy seal the old power is not valid. They said I need to send a new power which has to be adjudicated in TN. I checked with another lawyer in Pondicherry and he looked into the power and said it looks good as per Pondicherry's requirements. He said that Pondicherry does not require registering the power with a registrar/sub-registrar. I can take this power and get it registered in TN for buying properties in TN.

I'm confused now as to what the lwayers from TN/Pondicherry say. What are the rules for adjudication in TN? What is the timeframe for adjudication? Since the power is valid in Pondicherry, can I not get it adjudicated in TN now after 3 months since the embassy seal? Is there any websites where I can find these information?

I'm confused now with 2 lawyers saying the power is god and the builder's legal team saying that it is not.

Can the legal stalwarts here help me with the issue?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Ram

Learning

1 Replies

jayakumar.R (ADVOCATE & LEGAL CONSULTANT)     01 March 2013

Builders statement is correct, foriegn power should be adjudicated with in one month from date of received the cover.if it execeeds you can get a new power of attorney 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register