LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Victim 498a (self)     09 July 2014



Some members of my family are acquitted from 498a. My family is considering to file perjury and defamation. My lawyer is not directing us properly and stated that it could be expensive procedure? In what amount can the person file for, in other words who decides the amount - judge or victims? My parents were in for two weeks. 498a Cases are still on me. We don't want to waste too much money (as my case is on) and we are not sure how strong defamation and perjury cases are in India as law favors the 498a wife. 

What is the cost for filing? Is there anything like criminal defamation? Can 498a wife be sent behind bars? 

Please advise. 


 3 Replies

Rocky Smith (Instructor @ Calcutta (rockysmith4calcutta@gmail.com))     09 July 2014

Perjury is punishable u/s 193 IPC.

Petition u/s 499 IPC read with 500 IPC is criminal defamation.

First file FIR against her by your parents u/s 211 IPC 182 IPC.

File perjury in the same court where 498A is going on.

DEEPAK ASSOCIATES (08010117611)     10 July 2014

By whom your parents have been acquitted court or police.

If the police has discharged your parent upon finding the false allegation then it is open to your parents to file the complaint before the police authorities where your wife had filed complaint to initiate the proceeding u/s 182 IPC and if the court has discharged then file the complainant u/s 500, 182, 193 IPC before court r/w 340/195 CrPC.

as regard to costs :  If you file the civil case for defamation to claim some compensation then the court fee according to state may be affixed.

There is no costs as to criminal case except lawyer fee.



Victim 498a (self)     10 July 2014


The high court quashed the fir and Supreme Court stayed the judgement and acquitted some members of my family, however the 498a case is still in fir stage.  I will take your advise and have them file case in lower court. 

I hope these counter cases are effective to curb her arrogance and teach her some humility in life. 

Thank you,


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register