LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sahana (student)     21 June 2009

patent agent

hello friends ..i am sahana ..An LLB graduate... yet to enroll.. I am interested in IP laws and want to get registered my self as patent agent.. what is the scope of being a patent agent and also pls tell me the procedures for registering as a patent agent in bangalore as i am a resident of Bangalore...pls tel me.. 

Learning

5 Replies

M. PIRAVI PERUMAL (Advocate & Consumer Rights)     21 June 2009

In India, a person registered to practice before Indian Patent Office is called as "Registered Patent Agent" or simply "Patent agent". The Indian Patent Law specifically does not mention the designation of "Patent Attorney". The Indian Patent Agent can thus be considered the counterpart of the Patent Attorney in Australia, EPO or Japan.

Indian Patent Office conducts a qualifying examination for patent agent registration twice a year. Indian Patent Law mandates a science or technical degree for person(s) to appear for the qualifying examination. Other criteria for eligibility include being an Indian Citizen, and 21 years of age. There are approximately 1400 registered patent agents in India. However many of the patent agents got themselves registered without appearing for the qualifying examination before the amendment that took place in 2003. It can also be inferred that many of them who got registered before the amendment took place do not have any science or technical degree.

1 Like

Iftikhar Ahsan (Indian Patent Agent)     22 June 2009

Dear Sahana,

Patent Agent Examination would be condcuted in November but not very much sure. Once you become Patent agent u can practice in all patent offices Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata and Mumbai. However, there is patent office in Banglore and hence u have to practice in chennai.   

Regards,

Iftikhar Ahsan

Senthil (Patent Consultant)     22 June 2009

Hi Sahana,

First you should be in Science or Technical background to become patent agent. To know more details about patent agent exam and procedure, please go through the following link

https://indiapatents.blogspot.com/2008/09/general-information-of-patent-agent.html

https://indiapatents.blogspot.com/2008/10/online-course-on-patent-agent-exam-in.html

All the best

Senthil

sahana (student)     29 June 2009

Thank u dear all.  for letting me knw more info's on this.. so Mr .senthil u r trying to say an llb graduate can not register himself as an patent agent..

(Guest)

Sahana g Hi . The basic qualification to become a patent agent is a science graduate, further if you possess a law degree that would be an added advantage because firms like PANGEA 3 recruits people having both the the degrees. people aspiring to become a patent attorney have to clear an exam conducted twice  a year. BYE.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register