Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nu.Delhi.Law.Fora. (Advocate-on-Record Supreme Court of India)     13 November 2010

Opinion on Education matter

Dear All,

Here is a poor student secured got more than 60% in aggregate marks in mba degree. however, in one paper he reappeared and got pass marks. But, madras university awards him mba degree and issues certificate as having passed second class. university states that its rules yet does not refer to any. but general perception is if a candidate gets marks 60% and above in average, he/she is stated to have passed in first class. Please help to know the law/practice in this regard, in general and for madras university in particular.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Learning

7 Replies

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     13 November 2010

Sir, University is right in this issue. Course exams has to be taken at single attempt and a student has to get aggregate 60% to get a first class. If the student takes more than one attempt, university will issue a second class only even though the student scores first class marks. First class has it is own merits and standards to be met. And that has nothing to do with economic status of the students.

Nu.Delhi.Law.Fora. (Advocate-on-Record Supreme Court of India)     13 November 2010

Madam,

Could you please advise as to which laws/by-laws and/or Rules of Madras University is atracted in taking such understanding.

Tahnk you all in anticipation.

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     14 November 2010

Sir, this issue under UGC rules and regulations and not under any university as such. You can visit the university to get more clarification or, go through the UGC guidelines.

I am sorry, I am not aware where exactly this issue is raised. Will let you know as soon as I come to know. But as an advocate,  dont you think granting first class only to the students who pass in first attempt is justified? What is a great thing in getting a first class or even a distinction taking more time ? How can you compare with students who write and get first class in first attempt ?

Nu.Delhi.Law.Fora. (Advocate-on-Record Supreme Court of India)     14 November 2010

Madam,

Good morning. Thank you for your concern and advice. I shall get the same checked in UGC at New Delhi. Thanks once again for your co-operation.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     15 November 2010

you are justified in seeking the rules.

please ask the university itself or ugc, seeking the rules, rti may help you also.

however if you found the rules, please put it here also for the knowledge of all interested persons.

Nu.Delhi.Law.Fora. (Advocate-on-Record Supreme Court of India)     16 November 2010

Dear All,

In quest for getting correct proposition of rules/laws etc., I found interesting info regarding award of degree with first class and subsequent treatments of candidates thereof.

Generally it asked for that a Candidate must hold a particular degree from a PCI/AICTE etc. approved Institute etc. As regards qualification, it is often thus asked that a Candidate must have a first class degree or a minimum 60% marks in average in desired qualification. It is also sometime clarified that in case the examining Board does not award a Class, the percentage marks in qualification (say like BA/BSc/BCom etc.) will be computed as average of marks obtained in all subjects in which candidate has appeared.

With this view, I look forward to esteemed lawyers to opine until UGC/AICTE/University responses to the query.

Nu.Delhi.Law.Fora. (Advocate-on-Record Supreme Court of India)     16 November 2010

Further to earlier post:

This relates to BEd/MEd in the state of TN:

8. Classification of Successful Candidates

Successful candidates shall be classified separately for (a) the theory examination

and (b) the practical examination. In each case, candidates who pass the

examination in the first attempt and secure not less than 60% of aggregate marks

shall be placed in the first class; and those who obtain between 50% and 59%

shall be placed in the second class. Candidates who do not pass all or any of the

papers and in the practicum in the first attempt shall be declared to have passed in

the second class, if they get through in the failed paper(s)/ practicum in the

successive attempts. Hence they are not eligible for higher classification even though they get 60% and above in the aggregate marks in the reappearance(s).

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register