Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SURYA NARAYAN BANERJEE   25 September 2021

Obtaining legal heir certificate in kolkata,west bengal


Obtaining a LEGAL HEIR CERTIFICATE seems near to impossible from the District Headquarters of South 24 Parganas at Alipore ,KOLKATA (SDO OFFICE and REVENUE OFFICE both) when I visited both the offices on Monday 20.09.2021 with a prayer for procuring the forms and the requisite procedures to effect the issuance of a LEGAL HEIR CERTIFICATE in our favour. Both the offices and their senior most officials told me that in West Bengal , a legal heir certificate can be given only to the heirs of a deceased Government Employee by the recommendation of his (deceased) respective department.

I,therefore, request your good self to let me know if there are other avenues such as District Civil Court or other courts in Alipore/Kolkata where from a Legal Heir Certificate can be issued because a succession certificate is not needed in property transmission as far as I know.



 5 Replies

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     26 September 2021

Why you don't engage a lawyer? Are you poor?

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate and Legal Consultant)     26 September 2021

Consult and engage a local prudent lawyer.

SURYA NARAYAN BANERJEE   26 September 2021

Talked to several but they r telling Succession Cert can be obtained but its not necessary in immovable property transfer but a Legal Heir Certificate can only be obtained from SDO/Revenue Office and in West Bengal no such practice is there for non govt. deceased😩

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     26 September 2021

You can file a petition in the civil courts nearby. or else try to file through e-filing online. A legal heirship certificate is issued to identify the living heirs of a deceased person whereas succession certificate is issued to establish the authenticity of the heirs and give them the authority to inherit debts, securities and other assets that the deceased may have left behind.
1 Like

P. Venu (Advocate)     26 September 2021

Local laws and regulations apply. Only a local lawyer can assist you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

LCI Learning Hindu Laws

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query